• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field (or bank?) vole--ID help needed, please! (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I found this vole in our garden compost bin today. It was not v. cooperative, so I'm afraid the shot is not brilliant. I think it's a field vole but I wonder if anyone has any views? 'fraid the tail wasn't in view in the photo but it was very short... not much longer than the head of the animal.
(taken 3.3.04, Lingfield, Surrey, UK)

Attachments

• vole1.jpg
    vole1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Hi Surrey,

Bank Vole - the rusty brown tone to the back is spot on (Field Vole is greyer). The habitat is also ideal for Bank, wrong for Field.

Michael

Thanks, Michael,
I was relieved that it was a vole and not the brown rat that jumped out of the bin on a previous occasion!
Ken
(Burning the midnight oil I see!)

Surreybirder said:
I found this vole in our garden compost bin today. It was not v. cooperative, so I'm afraid the shot is not brilliant. I think it's a field vole but I wonder if anyone has any views? 'fraid the tail wasn't in view in the photo but it was very short... not much longer than the head of the animal.
(taken 3.3.04, Lingfield, Surrey, UK)

hi - i've got one as well ... from my research on the net i think its a field vole - it has a tunnel system over part of my secluded back lawn with 15 entrances (at the last count) ... it appeared exactly 4 weeks ago with 1 entrance - think its a nesting female, it fairly keeps the grass short and its fav vegetation appears to be buttercup leaves !

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back