• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wings Over Winecountry, Colleen's place (1 Viewer)

Nicely done, Colleen - especially in such a small format! There is a very noticeable progression in your work over the last year - the combination of your focus on your subject and working with Johannes has really pushed your abilities and results.

great ,your paintings are in every time full of power

the seagulls...one sitting in the stones in the landscape and another fly over the stones in the water :cat:

greetings Gaby

good idea Gaby when it's dry, I'll try that, if I get it wrong I can wipe it out and try again.

Another very successful study Colleen. I agree that gulls would add the final touch giving the scene an accent and lending scale.

Mike

yes I now understand why there are so many seagulls in seascapes they need a cue for scale, people on the beach serve too.

Today sketching at Ellis Ponds, what strange results, like drawing whispers.....don't know why and the cinnamon teal is so fragile one more line would do it in

Attachments

• black necked stilt.jpg
    black necked stilt.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 46
  • sleeping cinnamon teal.jpg
    sleeping cinnamon teal.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
What a fabulous couple of sketches! Simple, straightforward captures of real experiences. Welcome back from the wilderness seascapes Colleen. :t:

Mike

Your venture into seascapes has been an absolute delight to follow - I can see this being your muse for many seasons to come. As Mike says - welcome back to bird sketching and if these two are anyting to go by, the break has only sharpened your eye and developed your sensitivity. These really are terrific!

What a fabulous couple of sketches! Simple, straightforward captures of real experiences. Welcome back from the wilderness seascapes Colleen. :t:

Mike

Really very nice Colleen. It seems like your time away from birds has really paid off. These have a very sure touch to them.

thank you all for the sweet welcome, my sketches are really different from before..... it's a relief that somehow my hand is more alive and aware than last year even tho it's been so long.

I wonder if this soft almost tentative scribbling is somehow my way or if it is just a reflection of how uncertain my life and even life in general is so uncertain right now....or maybe it's the radiation from Japan:-C

Last edited:
Thanks Nick there is a lot of validation for my work right now.

I entered 4 pieces in a nice local show of about 300 works and got a first in oils and and 2nd and 3rd in pastel( the first place pastel was best in show, a landscape by a local very well known artist) It was my first outing in the local art scene so it was nice that jurors put the animals up there, with the landscape and still life.

I think I've posted them here before, but here are the 3 winners, at least one was a bird. These are all older works from the last 2 years, my landscape is not ready for public view yet.

Attachments

• aws Come Closer oil.jpg
    aws Come Closer oil.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 44
  • aws cordelia_1423_1.jpg
    aws cordelia_1423_1.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 38
  • aws the chase.jpg
    aws the chase.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 49
Can only agree with Tim and Nick! I'm often not taken with closely cropped views of animals like the first. But I think you've been very successful with it. There's a real sense of presence and solidity to it. Quite a nice collection of work. It's nice to see that it got some recognition.

Wow! Great paintings indeed! Congratulations. The cheetah looks great - you captured the rapid movement of the scene perfectly. Like it very much!

Best wishes,
Kathrin

I'm often not taken with closely cropped views of animals like the first. .

Me either, but this one has a special part that probably got it picked, in the reflections of the eye is me, 2 kids and all the surrounding landscape, so I had to be close up to get the eye big enough to paint all that in.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back