• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Blue/Small Blue (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
Can someone confirm these 2 id's for me please?.I had the 2cnd shot printed as a Common blue,but is different in colours to the 1st shot,which is I think definitely a Common.they are from my website,so do need to be accurate.
Many thanks,Christine.

Attachments

• 2356Butterflies_21st_Aug_01.jpg
    2356Butterflies_21st_Aug_01.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 235619th_Aug_057-common-blu copy.jpg
    235619th_Aug_057-common-blu copy.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 83
Hello, Christine! :hi:

Yes, your first butterfly looks like a female Common Blue but the second one, what is sure is that isn't Small Blue. Small Blues are never blue, not even the males.

I don't think it is Common Blue either, too blue instead of violetish, plus I think I see a semi-checkered white frontwing border. It might be a Holly Blue.

I assume the pics were taken in Cumbria.

Best

Gavia

Thanks,Gavia.I have just been to the gallery,and one was shown ,eg the 2cnd shot as a Common Blue.But the wings are so different.Yes Gavia,they were both taken in Cumbria,and we do have lots of sea holly.The Holly Blue in my id book shows silver wings,there is also a Silver Studded Blue,an Adonis Blue,a Chalkhill Blue,and a Small Blue.

Thanks,Gavia.I have just been to the gallery,and one was shown ,eg the 2cnd shot as a Common Blue.But the wings are so different.Yes Gavia,they were both taken in Cumbria,and we do have lots of sea holly.The Holly Blue in my id book shows silver wings,there is also a Silver Studded Blue,an Adonis Blue,a Chalkhill Blue,and a Small Blue.

Christine, if those are the Blues in Cumbria, yours has to be Holly Blue. None of the others can be for different reasons. Holly Blue's wings are not silvery on the upperwing, but blue with a very slight greyish or even violetish hue.

Hope this helps :t:

Can someone confirm these 2 id's for me please?.I had the 2cnd shot printed as a Common blue,but is different in colours to the 1st shot,which is I think definitely a Common.they are from my website,so do need to be accurate.
Many thanks,Christine.

I think both are Common Blue.

Holly Blues have a black tip to the forewing (smaller in male), and are a paler blue. Also Holly Blue do not feed on Sea Holly, only ordinary Holly (and Ivy).

Sean

Last edited:
Thanks,Sean.I already had the 2cnd species listed as a Common Blue,but when I came across the 1st shot also listed as the Common,I did wonder if one had been given the incorrect id.So is the 1st image,female,and the 2cnd Male Common?.

I think both are Common Blue.

Holly Blues have a black tip to the forewing (smaller in male), and are a paler blue. Also Holly Blue do not feed on Sea Holly, only ordinary Holly (and Ivy).

Sean

You get me here. I am hopeless at botany and am unable to tell which plant butterflies are feeding on.

I ruled out Common Blue because I see at least partly chequered fringes in the forewing. Common Blue has pure white fringes. The specimen isn't in pristine condition so that might be deceiving my eyes.

The black tip to the forewing of the male Holly Blue sometimes is almost unexistant but it is true that Christine's Blue is perhaps too blue for a Holly Blue.

Centainly it isn't a clearly defined specimen but what you say about the feeding plant is a excellent clue to know the real identity of Christine's mystery Blue. Now, I am inclined to think that you are right and it is indeed a Common Blue :t:

Thanks,Sean.I already had the 2cnd species listed as a Common Blue,but when I came across the 1st shot also listed as the Common,I did wonder if one had been given the incorrect id.So is the 1st image,female,and the 2cnd Male Common?.

After the second deliveration I would say, yes, 1rst female Common Blue, 2nd male Common Blue |:D|

Thanks,Gavia and Sean,so it is female and male Common Blue.A pity we have this terrible weather here in Cumbria at the moment,I could have perhaps managed a better shot.These were taken around 5yrs ago.By the time the rain has gone,I expect so will all our butterflies have vanished.

Thanks,Gavia and Sean,so it is female and male Common Blue.A pity we have this terrible weather here in Cumbria at the moment,I could have perhaps managed a better shot.These were taken around 5yrs ago.By the time the rain has gone,I expect so will all our butterflies have vanished.

Hello Christine,

They are both Common Blues as others have pointed out. You should have a copy of the lepidoptera or at least the Butterflies of Cumbria. Try ringing Tullie House Museum at Carlisle, they put out some booklets a few years back. That will give you an idea of what occurs in Cumbria. Many butterfly species are moving northwards as are species of other insect orders.

If I remember correctly the Common Blue, Holly Blue, & Small Blue have all been recently recorded from Cumbria. There are ancient records for the Chalkhill Blue, but not for about 150 years, and the Silver Studded Blue is also extinct there. The Small Blue apart from being very small is a dark dull leaden blue totally unlike any other British Butterfly species.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back