• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

habicht 10x40 wga (1 Viewer)

SUPPRESSOR

England
Does anyone have a pair of the latest swarovski Habicht 10x40wga porros? I am thinking of purchasing a new pair,but , will have to send away for them as not many dealers keep them in stock. My man down in the far south west has not sold a pair for many years and thinks I should not bother with them.
Last week I had my hands on a pair that were produced in 1988,they had been used on a day to day basis and looked like they could go on for another twenty two years they had never needed to go in for a service in all those years unlike some of the so called (bomb proof) roof prism bins.
The only down side I could see was that horrible yellow cast, apart from that I thought the image was very good indeed.
I know the more recent ones have a neutral colour bias,but, it would be good to hear from someone who is using an up to date pair to hear what they think of them,before I spend my money and have Steve R tell me ,I told you so.
regards,
fiddler.

Fiddler

I have just recently bought a Habicht, the leather 8x30w.
Its a brand new one, made this year with latest coatings, it has bright neutral images that are razor sharp and it has that wonderful 3d effect. The depth of field is huge also, so no constant refocusing needed here. The focus wheel is firm but not at all unpleasant to use.
The binocular physically is very well made, as you would expect being a Swarovski !. Its comfortable to hold for extended periods because of its low weight, and its waterproof.

You would be wise to get yourself a proper case though as these binoculars are still supplied with the awful black shaving bag.
I was very very fortunate to have got a Swarovski leather case for mine and it compliments the Habicht beautifully. The neckstrap is also leather and very nice too, you can see it on the Swaro website if your curious.
It also has the 30 year warranty not the 10.

Its been pointed out that the eye relief is quite shallow on these but i have never had no problem with short eye relief anyway, (how did you find the ER with the older model you tried ?).

Its a wonderful binocular and couldnt be happier with it , i just wished i had got one sooner. :t:

Attachments

• Image0185.jpg
    Image0185.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 1,500
Habicht

Fiddler

Its a brand new one, made this year with latest coatings, it has bright neutral images that are razor sharp and it has that wonderful 3d effect. The depth of field is huge also, so no constant refocusing needed here. The focus wheel is firm but not at all unpleasant to use.
The binocular physically is very well made, as you would expect being a Swarovski !. Its comfortable to hold for extended periods because of its low weight, and its waterproof.

You would be wise to get yourself a proper case though as these binoculars are still supplied with the awful black shaving bag.
I was very very fortunate to have got a Swarovski leather case for mine and it compliments the Habicht beautifully. The neckstrap is also leather and very nice too, you can see it on the Swaro website if your curious.

Its been pointed out that the eye relief is quite shallow on these but i have never had no problem with short eye relief anyway, (how did you find the ER with the older model you tried ?).

Its a wonderful binocular and couldnt be happier with it , i just wished i had got one sooner. :t:

Ingle,
Thanks for that,sounds like your very pleased with your 8x30s.
I too get on better with a little less eye relief and found the old model I tried to be spot on for me.
The case might not be so important for me as the model I am going for is rubber armoured though I do like the look of yours.
What is the C A like in yours?
regards,
fiddler.

Hello,

I have had many Swarovski Habitch binoculars, all 10x40. The first made in the late 70´s, another from the 80´s, one from the early 90´s and the late (and the best for me!) made in 2006. All were made "like a tank" and never had any problem mechanically. All but the last one had that yellow cast. Also, all were outstanding optically! I must admit thas the eye relief is rather short and with glasses it is not as confortable than the newer roof prism binocular with their longer ER and adjustable eye cups. But the last one, rubber covered, is exelent in all aspects! The yellow cast has gone and it is almost as good in optics as my Zeiss FL. I think this Habichts are one of the most underrated binoculars and have an exelent quality/price ratio!
Best regards

PHA

Does anyone have a pair of the latest swarovski Habicht 10x40wga porros? I am thinking of purchasing a new pair,but , will have to send away for them as not many dealers keep them in stock. My man down in the far south west has not sold a pair for many years and thinks I should not bother with them.
Last week I had my hands on a pair that were produced in 1988,they had been used on a day to day basis and looked like they could go on for another twenty two years they had never needed to go in for a service in all those years unlike some of the so called (bomb proof) roof prism bins.
The only down side I could see was that horrible yellow cast, apart from that I thought the image was very good indeed.
I know the more recent ones have a neutral colour bias,but, it would be good to hear from someone who is using an up to date pair to hear what they think of them,before I spend my money and have Steve R tell me ,I told you so.
regards,
fiddler.

Habicht

Hello,

I have had many Swarovski Habitch binoculars, all 10x40. The first made in the late 70´s, another from the 80´s, one from the early 90´s and the late (and the best for me!) made in 2006. All were made "like a tank" and never had any problem mechanically. All but the last one had that yellow cast. Also, all were outstanding optically! I must admit thas the eye relief is rather short and with glasses it is not as confortable than the newer roof prism binocular with their longer ER and adjustable eye cups. But the last one, rubber covered, is exelent in all aspects! The yellow cast has gone and it is almost as good in optics as my Zeiss FL. I think this Habichts are one of the most underrated binoculars and have an exelent quality/price ratio!
Best regards

PHA
PHA, Many thanks for your response to my questions I think I shall put an order in for a pair tomorrow.
fiddler.

Habicht

I havnt noticed any, to be honest though i havnt been looking for it, and CA usually becomes apparent anyway.

But again its down to the indivduals eyes...

INGLE, I did not notice a problem with C A when I looked through them the other day. I think the latest version will suit me fine.
fiddler.

I have a pair of 7x42 habicht, bought in 2009 and am very pleased with them. I really wouldn't know which bins I would like instead. The ergonomics of the porro design are the works for me. I simply ove them.

I chose the 7x because I'm to shakey for the 10x and the 8x are to small (or my hands too big).

So I only can reccommend those Habichts!!

I have a pair of 7x42 habicht, bought in 2009 and am very pleased with them. I really wouldn't know which bins I would like instead. The ergonomics of the porro design are the works for me. I simply ove them.

I chose the 7x because I'm to shakey for the 10x and the 8x are to small (or my hands too big).

So I only can reccommend those Habichts!!

Malloot,
I put my order in yesterday,they have to come from Austria and that takes five working days, so friday if I am lucky monday if i'm not.
I have been used to top roof prism bins in the past so I am a little apprehensive I hope I get on with them,I have vowed this is going to be the last pair of bins I ever purchased as I have spent far too much money on optics this past forty years. If I see the thirty year warranty out I shall be ninety-two,but, i'm not taking any bets!!
fiddler.

Fiddler

Okay, okay, you don't to twist my arm, I added the 8x30 Habicht on my Wish List. :)

Can you see the entire FOV with the short ER? That was my concern. I have a really nice older 8x30ish porro but the ER is only about 12mm so I lose about a degree FOV, which I can only see by tilting the bins.

That case is mighty purdy. Did you purchase it separately or was it a package deal with the bins? I know what you mean about the "shaving cream" Swaro cases. :)

If you purchased the leather case separately, I'd like to know how much it costs if you don't mind sharing or PM me. Thanks.

Brock,

Those old Swarovski leather cases were things of beauty. I still have one like the photo in post #2 for my 8x30 Habicht. That one was called the "sport case" and there was an even finer hard kidney bean type case. I got one of those for my 10x40 Habichts.

I have an old Swarovski price list from 1994. At that time the Habicht binoculars were not supplied with cases, but you could purchase the sport case as an optional accessory for a mere $105 or the "stiff case" for $140. I imagine the prices would be at least twice as much now if they were still available. There were also some nice stretch on rubber bumpers available for protecting the metal objective trim rings of the unarmored Habichts. I have a few of those which fit many other binoculars, like the Nikon E and EII.

Eye relief is about 12mm. You would want to try a pair first.

Henry

Okay, okay, you don't to twist my arm, I added the 8x30 Habicht on my Wish List. :)

Can you see the entire FOV with the short ER? That was my concern. I have a really nice older 8x30ish porro but the ER is only about 12mm so I lose about a degree FOV, which I can only see by tilting the bins.

That case is mighty purdy. Did you purchase it separately or was it a package deal with the bins? I know what you mean about the "shaving cream" Swaro cases. :)

If you purchased the leather case separately, I'd like to know how much it costs if you don't mind sharing or PM me. Thanks.

Brock

FOV is excellent, the Nikon EII is still king though, by a whisker LOL.

As to the case, its been a quest !, they had discontinued them 2006-7? i think, so i contacted Swaro UK but they had none.
So then started the Google search, no luck there either, although I think i saw Opticsplanet ? with an advert for them but it did state This item now discontinued, or words to that effect.
Then its email and telephone to stockists of Swaro, but no luck there, you would think there would be one sat on a shelf somewhere, but apparently not.

Now i was getting the feeling i would never get one, so i tried Swaro USA, they had none either, so its last throw of the dice time i contacted a representative of Swarovski HQ whom shall remain nameless, and he said he would look into it for me, and god bless him, as good as his word he did and i got the reply back they have one each only of the sportcase(the one in the pic) and the hardcase, kidney shaped case.

So all i had to do was contact Swaro UK and sort payment and within no time i had the case, and believe me the picture does not do it justice its superb.

By the way, i bought both cases ;)

Thank you.

I was indecisive between the 8x30 and the 10x40, but I bought the 10x40 because I already have a Dialyt 7x42.

I'm anxious to test them this week-end.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back