• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redstart showing features of both sexes (1 Viewer)

Desertbirder

Jonathan Meyrav
Attached is a paper and images of one of the most amazing things I have ever encountered, I will be happy to get ( serious ) comments...
Jonathan

Attachments

• Redstart - text+images..doc
    366.5 KB · Views: 720
Amazing! A very similar thing occurs in butterflies (but i can't remember the name for it at the moment!) I'm not suggesting this is the same thing, but it's a puzzler isn't it!?

I think it's called gynandromorphism???

I remember seeing an illustration in British Birds, from the late 1980s, that showed a House Sparrow with 50/50 features of male and female split perfectly down the middle.

I'll try and find it...

Gy`nan`dro`mor´phism (jĭ`năn`drô`môr´fĭz'm)
n. 1. (Zool.) An abnormal condition of certain animals, in which one side has the external characters of the male, and the other those of the female.

Does that mean that this bird is a hermaphrodite then ?

It'll be a late entrant into Big Brother at this rate along with the rest of the freaks and mis-shapes.

And... has it had a rib removed so it can perform you know what ? :eat:

Well, you can also induce this effect in first year birds artificially. If you got a juvenile/1st winter male redstart, and plucked one side of its head, it would regrow just like this.

Sounds like a pointless thing to do, but it's been done.

this amazing phenomenon is called Gynandromorph (Halfsider) and is in fact the result of the elimination of one X-chromosome during meisosis, causing an animal with one side of the body genetically male and the other side female. The presence of an Y-chromosome is not necessary for developing a female individual in birds and the Y-chromosome is considered to be non-encoding DNA for no genes have ever been found on it.

Gynandromorphism is not common but found in several different species.

I have seen halfsiders (in captivity) in Zebrafinch (Taeniopygia guttata), Barred Parakeet (Bolborhynchus lineola) and Budgerigar (Melopsittacus undulatus)
I was told breeding with a Halfsider Bugerigar resulted in healthy offspring! (no halfsiders) so these birds amazingly appear to be prolific!

rupicola said:
this amazing phenomenon is called Gynandromorph (Halfsider) and is in fact the result of the elimination of one X-chromosome during meisosis, causing an animal with one side of the body genetically male and the other side female. The presence of an Y-chromosome is not necessary for developing a female individual in birds and the Y-chromosome is considered to be non-encoding DNA for no genes have ever been found on it.

Gynandromorphism is not common but found in several different species.

I have seen halfsiders (in captivity) in Zebrafinch (Taeniopygia guttata), Barred Parakeet (Bolborhynchus lineola) and Budgerigar (Melopsittacus undulatus)
I was told breeding with a Halfsider Bugerigar resulted in healthy offspring! (no halfsiders) so these birds amazingly appear to be prolific!
Now that's what I call a reply! 10 out of 10.

Thanks for the replies.
What are the odds ? 2-3 weeks of ringing in a very small area ( an incredible migrant magnet, but still tiny ) and we were lucky enough to catch one of these...
I didn't realize just how rare this phenomenon is.
I now wonder, has anyone actually ringed any wild birds showing Gynandromorphism or actually seen Gynandromorphic (?) birds in the field ?? Redstarts in particular ? I know In southern Israel during spring there are days with dozens of Redstarts going through, I 'll be paying extra attention to every Redstart I see from now on...
Thanks again for the detailed replies.

Does anyone know how I can open this Windows file in a Mac? I can read the script but can't see the pic.

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave J

Desertbirder said:
Hi, I cant help you there,
but you can find the whole piece on www.birdingisrael.com

Many thanks, it was good to read the other reports in particular the lutea Yellow Wagtail which has been reported in the UK but usually dismissed as
M.flava flavissima although they look identical to the pictures on the site.

Dave J

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back