• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk ID Nebraska (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
Lancaster county today. I have a good idea but since it is such a bad picture, I don't want to add it to eBird list. Cloudy day, pocket zoom camera at its worst.

Attachments

• IMG_6135 crop.jpg
    IMG_6135 crop.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 128
The shape of this doesn't look right for a Merlin to me. I think it's a juvenile accipiter - either Cooper's or Sharp-shinned Hawk. Also the fine streaking on the underparts (rather than thick streaking and chequering) is better for an accipiter than a Merlin.

Last edited:
Cooper's, for me
Uneven length rectrices
Streaking
Proportions of eyes to the head
Heavy looking tarsus
All looks good

Last edited:
OK, thanks. I will put Coopers. I have both Coopers and Merlin at this location, but Merlin later in fall.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back