• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringing Yesterday (1 Viewer)

tchagra

Hi Folks

Well ,the sun was back again yesterday,rain only lasted a couple of days,mostly at night too.

Anyway,the forecast was good so I was at my river site pre-dawn and had the nets up before first light.

Didn't manage to tape lure any scops owls or red necked nightjars,had 2 of former and 1 of latter ringed on Gib.this week.

Got some good records before the levanter wind got up by 11.00 hrs.which restricted ringing activities somewhat.

1 CHAFFINCH
4 PIED FLYCATCHERS
4 BLACKBIRDS ( HAD A GOOD BREEDING SEASON HERE)
1 GREENFINCH
1 GREAT TIT
1 SPOTTED FLYCATCHER
1 COMMON REDSTART
1 ROBIN
2 SERIN
10 GOLDFINCH (REALLY AMAZING MOULT IN JUVS,.)
1 STONECHAT
1 SARDINIAN WARBLER
8 BLACKCAP (ONLY 2 LOCALS,REST NORTHERN MIGRANTS)

BLACKCAPS ARE STARTING TO MOVE THROUGH IN BIGGER NUMBERS,ON THE MAINLAND AND ON GIB.

OUR LOCAL BLACKCAPS HAVE SHORT WINGS,65MM-72MM.COMPARED TO THE MIGRANTS WHICH RANGE FROM 74MM-81MM.

i AM CARRYING OUT A LONG TERM STUDY ON THIS SPECIES BOTH ON MAINLAND AND ON GIB.TO SEE WHETHER THERE ARE ANY OTHER DIFFERENT BIOMETRIC MEASUREMENTS THAT DIFFERENTIATE THE 2.RESULTS SO FAR LOOK PROMISING.

CHEERS FOR NOW

RICHARD

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back