• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are these birds year around or migratory? (1 Viewer)

Debsyard

It has been one year this month that I've been actively bird feeding in my backyard...what a joy! Now I'm curious if some of my visitors that I've only seen a few times, mostly spring/early summer will likely only visit infrequently due to migration or if I just got lucky seeing them at all and now they're eating somewhere else in the neighborhood instead. I'm in San Dimas (Southern California). Theses birds are: Brown Headed Cowbird, Black Headed Grosbeak, White Crowned Sparrow, Hooded Oriole, Western Tanager and Lazuli Bunting. I would really like to see them more. What do you think? Thanks a bunch as always.

Greetings from Iowa; Some thoughts on your feeder visitors. The Brown-Headed Cowbird is a year round bird in your local. Remember this species is a true parasitic bird, so if I had my druthers, I wouldn't feed it at all. But that is only my opinion. It has it's place in the grand scheme of things...somehow. Your Black-Headed Grosbeak could be a summer resident but it is more likely a migrant. They winter in southern Mexico, and breed north of you in the cool forests and mountains to the north. But I wouldn't rule out a summer bird from time to time. The Hooded Oriole might be enticed to stay over if there is a nice supply of nectar and fruit like orange slices or grape jelly, etc. available. A few do stick around anyway. This bird winters in southern Mexico but is a summer resident and fairly common around you so leave your oriole nectar feeder out year round. Who knows? I would. The Western Tanager is probably a migrant like the Grosbeak. They breed north and east of you in the mountains and forests. But, it could also be a summer resident as some are found around you during the summer if habitat is friendly. The Lazuli Bunting is probably a summer resident along the coast, and a migrant further inland. It may very well be at your feeders during the summer months. But not in the winter. It winters from extreme southern Arizona down the coast of the Gulf of California. Lastly, the White-Crowned Sparrow is a winter bird. In your location, if it were me, I would split my feeders three ways year round: Combination oriole nectar feeder that has a place for orange slices and jelly bowl. This will attract the tanager also. Seed feeders, white proso millet for the sparrows, quail and doves in a ground feeder, black oil sunflower mixed with safflower in other seed feeders for your Grosbeaks, Buntings, finches, etc., and lastly, put up hummingbird feeders. Plant some bird friendly shrubs or ornamental trees, put up nesting boxes and your yard will be the "kitchen" for any bird in your neighborhood. I hope this helps. Remember, it takes birds to attract birds. And if all else fails, just do like this lady does in the photo taken back east in Iowa, species = Ruby-Throated Hummingbird.
Bird on!
Tom :t:

Attachments

• hummingbird lady 2006.jpg
    hummingbird lady 2006.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 109
  • hummer 1.jpg
    hummer 1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 116
  • hummer 3.jpg
    hummer 3.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 115
  • hummer 4.jpg
    hummer 4.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
What a great help you are

tominadel said:
Greetings from Iowa; Some thoughts on your feeder visitors. The Brown-Headed Cowbird is a year round bird in your local. Remember this species is a true parasitic bird, so if I had my druthers, I wouldn't feed it at all. But that is only my opinion. It has it's place in the grand scheme of things...somehow. Your Black-Headed Grosbeak could be a summer resident but it is more likely a migrant. They winter in southern Mexico, and breed north of you in the cool forests and mountains to the north. But I wouldn't rule out a summer bird from time to time. The Hooded Oriole might be enticed to stay over if there is a nice supply of nectar and fruit like orange slices or grape jelly, etc. available. A few do stick around anyway. This bird winters in southern Mexico but is a summer resident and fairly common around you so leave your oriole nectar feeder out year round. Who knows? I would. The Western Tanager is probably a migrant like the Grosbeak. They breed north and east of you in the mountains and forests. But, it could also be a summer resident as some are found around you during the summer if habitat is friendly. The Lazuli Bunting is probably a summer resident along the coast, and a migrant further inland. It may very well be at your feeders during the summer months. But not in the winter. It winters from extreme southern Arizona down the coast of the Gulf of California. Lastly, the White-Crowned Sparrow is a winter bird. In your location, if it were me, I would split my feeders three ways year round: Combination oriole nectar feeder that has a place for orange slices and jelly bowl. This will attract the tanager also. Seed feeders, white proso millet for the sparrows, quail and doves in a ground feeder, black oil sunflower mixed with safflower in other seed feeders for your Grosbeaks, Buntings, finches, etc., and lastly, put up hummingbird feeders. Plant some bird friendly shrubs or ornamental trees, put up nesting boxes and your yard will be the "kitchen" for any bird in your neighborhood. I hope this helps. Remember, it takes birds to attract birds. And if all else fails, just do like this lady does in the photo taken back east in Iowa, species = Ruby-Throated Hummingbird.
Bird on!
Tom :t:
I forgot to mention the brief visit from a Yellow Rumped (Audobon's) Warbler. I had read that about the cowbirds. The only good thing about their visit was getting to see them in person, so to speak, instead of just pictures. I had 3 pair of Grosbeak's enjoying suet and fruit and occassionally seed, they were around for a few weeks in the Spring. The Buntings came in as a small flock of males and females, about 6-10 individuals. They also were around only a few weeks in the Spring. The Sparrows were about 3-5 for a few days in the Spring. I had a pair of Orioles frequenting my Hummingbird and Oriole feeders. They never became interested in the grape jelly, applesauce, apples or oranges I put out. The female showed up more than the male. They were around Spring and Summer. The Tanager never came into my yard, but was in the trees in a grove of Oak trees below my property and only for 2-3 days did I spot it, also in the Spring. My year around residents include: Hummingbird, Gold Finch, House Finch, California Towhee, Mourning Dove and occassional Mockingbird, Scrub Jay, Black Phoebe. I have hummingbird and oriole feeders, hanging seed feeders, finch socks, suet cages and ground feeders. I have black oil sunflower seed, thistle, and a mix that also includes cracked corn, milo, millet and wheat. I have many hummingbird specific flowers also.

The Yellow-Rumped Warbler (butter butt as they are sometimes called) is a winter bird.
The tanager's are difficult to feed, especially the males. In many instances the female will feed the male so they stay in the shade out of sight. For a conspicous bird the males are rarely seen. moving instead slowly and deliberately through the foliage.... Sounds like you have a very bird-friendly yard. I don't know about the milo and wheat as these are mostly filler. I would stick with the millet and cracked corn for the Towhees and sparrows, etc. in your ground feeder and spread out. Another idea to consider is that birds cannot resist the sight and sound of dripping water, so put a dripper unit above your bird bath and maybe a mister also. (the water type) I have attracted many a bird with these devices. You can buy the attachments for a hose that uses almost no water. Remember, some of your birds are migrants and will only stay put for a while as they have a larger agenda. However, your beautiful Hooded Oriole attractants should be changed weekly. I would try every type of jelly or jam, honey, marmalade, different fruits until I hit on one that they can't resist. Call the local Audubon chapter or California Ornithologist's Union for advice on what their members are using. You are fortunate to have the Hooded Oriole as a visitor. Here, back in Iowa our winter birds are starting to show with the snow and our tanagers and orioles are all but memories until spring. Good luck and God Bless.
Tom,
Dallas County, Iowa
Iowa Ornithologist's Union

Bird-friendly yard indeed!

The Warbler I mentioned was very solitary, it poked around in the grass away from the general feeding areas. I have several bird bathes and the house finches are a blast to watch, I could spy on them all day. They jump right in the middle of the bowl and the water level is then up to their belly, they get a thorough soaking flapping around in there. When you're looking at them, the dish which is clear magnifies their legs so it's a very comical sight. And I actually do have a mister that I use in the summertime to cool my dogs. I never thought about it for the birds, good idea. You're not kidding about the filler seed. What a waste. The only reason I have it right now is Petco had 40# for $4.99 on sale. Cheap enough! The House finches seem to be visiting the Hummingbird feeders as much as the Hummingbirds. The Hummingbirds hover around the imposter wondering why they can't scare them off like they can with their own kind. But everyone gets their share. By the way, I absolutely love the pictures of the Hummers with the woman. I once showed my husband how bold they are by holding the feeder in front of my face and they didn't even hesitate, just fed like always inches away. I'm going to try her trick with a red dish in my hands, I'll let you know how it goes. It's a pleasure communicating with you :0)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back