• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hovering bird of prey, Portugal (1 Viewer)

Pretty incredulous that a photograph can be interpreted as showing a series of features that point to a variety of species...
a. A kite species due to forked tail. ( side on view of tail and hanging feet giving impression of a forked tail ).
b. A short-toed eagle ( hovering, square tailed, hanging feet, large head ).
c. A buzzard sp. ( hovering, hanging feet, unclear shape of tail due to side on viewl ).

I don't think it's a. due to wing shape proportions, length and no obvious kinked back hand.

The pitfalls of identifying from a poor long distance image that's been adjusted.

Totally agree.

Cheeky boy....:t:
Still not sure about yesterday's photos of B.B.A. and seen by a plethora of experienced birders at 4 different locations as it was tracked North. Personally could see bits of both in the photos on twittersphere.
Happy days A.

Still not sure about yesterday's photos of B.B.A. and seen by a plethora of experienced birders at 4 different locations as it was tracked North. Personally could see bits of both in the photos on twittersphere.
Happy days A.

Presumably that was just a Cape Gannet or something similar.

Yes, a bit brash of me to call this a STE, can see it as CB now. Of course, they are often hanging in the wind a la STE. I must stop assuming photos show what things look like in the field because they are frequently and cunningly deceiving, much more so than field observation: If one looks at their sky borne raptors in the field, not on photos, the chances of confusing these two is nil (at least for me), even at 2kms or more. But then of course you have movement and changing lighting, which give many more clues than a still image.

I feel like a right plonker now B :) and worse, I've watched many thousands of STE over the years.

Yes, a bit brash of me to call this a STE, can see it as CB now. Of course, they are often hanging in the wind a la STE. I must stop assuming photos show what things look like in the field because they are frequently and cunningly deceiving, much more so than field observation: If one looks at their sky borne raptors in the field, not on photos, the chances of confusing these two is nil (at least for me), even at 2kms or more. But then of course you have movement and changing lighting, which give many more clues than a still image.

I feel like a right plonker now B :) and worse, I've watched many thousands of STE over the years.

I think the most important is to get a conclusion all together, making a first wrong identification is not bad... it is even the best way to learn (and we never stop learning about birds).

BF worked well on that case, :) :t:

Looks that way.
Go all round the houses and back to where we started - hovering raptor larger than a kestrel. Golden rule......start with the basic commoner species and then rule out why it isn't that.

This then takes us onto another scenario that you find this time of year which is,
"We're on * Scillies /Shetland etc, so it must be rare."

* can be applied to any site where rarities are regularly found or even when birding abroad when unfamiliar species or races are present.

I don’t know enough about flight patterns of raptors to exclude anything, meaning that i’ll have to settle for the default option, i.e. common buzzard

one more thing : just when it finished the hover, it swept sideways and went into fast descent/dive - don’t know if this helps

Taken from original post

'this bird was hovering, not like a kestrel, but holding its wings still and using the updraft of the prevailing wind it also appeared to be larger than a kestrel'

This suggests the bird was stalling in the wind rather than hovering, I have seen Booted Eagle doing this many times in Spain with as many as 10 in the air at once including dark and intermediate rufous morphs.

I only offered Booted up as an option as I only claim to have reasonable knowledge and skills. As no one else has suggested it and for my future reference can anyone give ID factors which dismissed this option or is range an issue

Thanks for any advice
Karl

Karl,
You're absolutely right in that the behaviour and range are fine for Booted eagle. What the photos don't show are,
The outline shape and pattern of the tail from underneath.
The plumage and wing pattern from underneath. "Landing lights" if seen head on in adult birds.
The other differences would be from observing the flying bird in the way it flaps, soars and glides. Although B.E. and C.B. are similar in size and overall structure, the differences are obvious when you get good views.

Thanks, from the photo I find it impossible to see any features that confirm any specific BOP. Even the forked tail v dangling feet discussions aren't conclusive. It's always better to have seen one and not know what is was than to not see one at all however frustrating. Off to Spain Sunday for 3 weeks so should see plenty

thanks for the help - it also goes to show that personal observations should be a better guidance than static pictures, provided the observer in question knows what to look for (in this case, i unfortunately appear to have failed the exam)

thanks for the help - it also goes to show that personal observations should be a better guidance than static pictures, provided the observer in question knows what to look for (in this case, i unfortunately appear to have failed the exam)

First step when you have an unknown raptor : compare the tail length with wing width at base. Very useful.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back