• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Homemade mobiscoping adapter (1 Viewer)

bartolli

At long last I found a plastic container the right size to fit over my Zeiss eyepiece.

I bought a £3.50 phone case off amazon, trimmed the container length and made a small hole in the centre of the base of the container.

To get the container to fit snuggly over the eyepiece, I glued a couple of small, thin butyl rubber pads (from leftover pond liner) inside the container.

I cut a circle of butyl rubber and super-glued it onto the base of the eyepiece and made a matching hole.

I trimmed the phone case slightly, so that the phone can be inserted/removed easily.

With the trimmed container in position on the eyepiece, I positioned the phone+case over the hole in the container, with the camera turned on to check alignment a few times before gluing it.

After a bit of practice lining things up, I put some cling film between the eyepiece and the container and another bit of cling film between the phone and the phone case in order to protect them whilst gluing.

Super glue was applied to the butyl rubber circle, and with the camera turned on, I carefully lined them up and stuck the case to the container, I had about 2 seconds to get the position right before the glue set!

Once I was happy that the case was secure, I took the adapter off the scope and removed the phone and the cling film. More super glue was then applied around the edges between the case and the container to try to make a secure joint.

When everything was well set, I assembled it all and had a go with it through the back door, it seems to work ok.

This morning I tried it out in "the field", well, on the moors anyway, appalling weather but I got some half decent vids of a mini-black grouse lek, which considering the distance, the weather and the fact I was holding the scope on the car window, I'm fairly happy with it.

Currently uploading the vid to my youtube channel. When its uploaded, you can see that I didn't get the alignment quite right as the vignette circle is slightly off centre, this means that I can't use the full zoom capability of the eyepiece.

All in all, reasonably promising, but I need to try it in better weather and hopefully on something a bit closer than distant black grice!

Attachments

• P1170146 bf.jpg
    P1170146 bf.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 212
Ideal, that's all you need rather than spend £70 on a flash adaptor.

Mines made from a old case, half an aerosol cap and gaffer tape!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back