• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moroccan birder visiting UK - looking for your specialties (1 Viewer)

Acrocephalus

Morocco
Hi all,

I will be visiting BirdLife International and probably also RSPB’s headquarters from 25 February till 8 march 2013, and would like to see some northern birds. Which species easy to see in these circumstances, like any residents birds that we don’t have in Morocco. Is there any chance to see wintering birds that don’t arrive here (buntings, waxwing…). Probably I won’t have enough time to do proper birding but any information on birding spots (in and near Cambridge) and target species would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Mohamed

Hi Mohamed,

there are some decent sites near to Cambridge, and I'm sure those more local than I can put you in the right direction.

For now, this site is useful for keeping up with what has been seen, and provides Waxwing locations too: http://cbcwhatsabout.blogspot.co.uk/.

I have visited Fowlmere RSPB reserve before, and this is quite near to the RSPB HQ. http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/f/fowlmere/
They have had Hen Harrier and Merlin recently. Lesser Redpoll, Siskin should be easy here.
Try Googling Paxton Pits, Grafham Water and Fen Drayton too.

Hope this helps.

Jim.

Hey Mo, Glad to see you're travelling north! It's a bit chilly at present so bring warm clothes. Fraid East Anglia isn't my area of expertise, I'm sure Jim's info is good!

Best Wishes

Thanks Jim for the useful information, I have saved these reserves and I will choose one (or more) of them once there. Also searched in the Cambridgeshire Bird Club’s blog and the Waxwings were seen recently near where I will stay, fingers crossed.

Jon, thanks for mentioning the weather. I have checked the weather forecast and it looks as it will get better as the week advance. It’s still chilly here too, by the way.

Best regards,

So far, I have seen some birds which I haven’t even thought about them before. I know they are resident and widespread here but they didn’t cross my mind until I saw them in the field:

- Rook (Corvus frugilegus)
- Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus)
- Redwing (Turdus iliacus)
- European Green Woodpecker (Picus viridis): this one was a bonus, because as soon as I stopped to watch some passerine birds, the bird flew from some trees to land in a grass field which allowed some good views.

No Waxwing yet, but I am happy with these birds.

Well done Mo, sincerely hope some Waxwings appear for you - I was lucky to see one here in North Devon a couple of weeks ago, bird of the year so far.
Off to Spain for a fortnight on Tuesday week, so send some good raptors over for me?

Well done Mo, sincerely hope some Waxwings appear for you - I was lucky to see one here in North Devon a couple of weeks ago, bird of the year so far.
Off to Spain for a fortnight on Tuesday week, so send some good raptors over for me?

Thanks Jon. If I see them, that's good; but if I don't it's totally fine, to the next time.

We will send you many raptors for sure. We will probably send you also Laughing Doves. My friend Rachid El Khamlichi is doing a great work over there, to save time please see 2nd post in this thread: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=250924

Thanks Jon. If I see them, that's good; but if I don't it's totally fine, to the next time.

We will send you many raptors for sure. We will probably send you also Laughing Doves. My friend Rachid El Khamlichi is doing a great work over there, to save time please see 2nd post in this thread: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=250924

I think one was seen in Portugal recently. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back