• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gray-lined Hawk? (Costa Rica) (1 Viewer)

JarJar

Hi there,

is this a juvenile Gray-lined Hawk? Seen on a palmtree, eating a little turtle...

Seen in Costa Rica, Caribbean slope, Tortuguero (13.10.15)

Thanks a lot,
Chris

Attachments

• DSC04680.jpg
    DSC04680.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC04688.jpg
    DSC04688.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 58
Can I politely suggest posting groups of pics so that other threads are not pushed off the first page?

We now have almost a whole page of single species posts that could have been condensed into a couple.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I thought, its better to split it in single threads - it´s also easier for me to put them all together... so I´m very sorry...

Chris

I think it's more straightforward to do each bird separately. Then we all know which bird we're talking about. Not that it's such a big deal either way that it's worth commenting on though really.

Hi there,

is it possible to say more about this wonderful bird? I have some more pictures if necessary...

Thanks for your help!
Chris

Well, first off: Gray-lined Hawk is in Costa Rica mostly found on the Pacific Slope, Gray Hawk is more likely in the Caribbean side.

Great Black Hawk juvie is not supposed to have such a strong dark malar, compare http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Great_Black_Hawk

Of the options, I believe the bill is too strong and the supercilium too broad (etc.) for Gray Hawk, so Common Black Hawk becomes the last remaining option. An upload to the gallery here might be in order ;)

Niels

Edit: I have some images of juvie Gray Hawk I will upload 1 of when I get around to it.

Hi Niels, thanks for your great support! I´ve just upload it to the gallery... just have a look... :)

best regards,
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back