• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High end hide luxury (1 Viewer)

Sequentially numbered flags would indeed be wicked.

But in these high tech times I would think servo controlled tripods for automatic alignment with whoever finds that distant speck would be an idea.

This is an old thread but I quite like the topic so...

For the perfect hide, I think it would need:
-To be large enough for people to be able to sit or stand with enough space in between seats and windows to be able to keep equipment near oneself.
-To have windows at the correct heights, depending on the use of the hide.
-Possible species to be seen at the given hide to be displayed on posters on the walls and a whiteboard to write odd/rare sightings.
-Maybe separate sections for birders/photographers to non-birders? It's never fun when someone brings their loud toddler into a quiet hide, but then again seeing birders in action could encourage more people (especially youths) to take up the hobby.
-Coffee for sure, like stated previously in the thread by several people.
-That's about it. Honestly the purpose of bird-hides isn't for them to act as a lounge with a big window, but to be used properly as wildlife observatories. Nonetheless, a wet, uncomfortable and cold hide wouldn't appeal to anyone, no matter the location.

This is an old thread but I quite like the topic so...

For the perfect hide, I think it would need:
-To be large enough for people to be able to sit or stand with enough space in between seats and windows to be able to keep equipment near oneself.
-To have windows at the correct heights, depending on the use of the hide.
-Possible species to be seen at the given hide to be displayed on posters on the walls and a whiteboard to write odd/rare sightings.
-Maybe separate sections for birders/photographers to non-birders? It's never fun when someone brings their loud toddler into a quiet hide, but then again seeing birders in action could encourage more people (especially youths) to take up the hobby.
-Coffee for sure, like stated previously in the thread by several people.
-That's about it. Honestly the purpose of bird-hides isn't for them to act as a lounge with a big window, but to be used properly as wildlife observatories. Nonetheless, a wet, uncomfortable and cold hide wouldn't appeal to anyone, no matter the location.
Once coffee enters the equation, toilets become a necessity. :(
I'm a fan of simple hides, just a shield to avoid alarming the birds as people move about.
Once they get expanded, the purpose gets lost.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back