• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 8x32 FL - same as when introduced? (1 Viewer)

SeldomPerched

Good afternoon. I am tempted by the neat, compact size, lightness for hiking, and brightness reports of the Zeiss Victory 8x32 FL binoculars. Looking at some early pre-2010 reviews of these I read in at least one report that while they come out very well in almost every respect against the other top competitors, for instance with fewer eye relief drawbacks than the Leica equivalent, they were cited as having a plasticky, easily-marked focus knob and looking somehow less 'alpha' grade cosmetically than could be expected of the marque.

My questions are: is that a fair criticism? And has Zeiss in any case upgraded/tweaked the cosmetics - or for that matter the optics - during the production run? Looking at a recent Zeiss-produced catalogue of their products I see that the other Victory binoculars in SF, HT, and Pocket formats have newer branding (ZEISS) on the front of the axle and that only the 32s have a hollow/hatched Z motif - suggesting perhaps an unbroken run of an original design?

Also: are these by current standards a top design in their class? Obviously I'm not expecting the optical further benefits of a 42 HT or SF.

I have access to local shops to test out binoculars. I'm posting this as currently they don't have the 32 FLs in stock. Many thanks for any light you can shed.

Tom

Zeiss FL

With regards to the 8X32 FL T (pic below), it is still a very good glass from an optical perspective, to me it is the best 8x32 for travel nice FOV, bright, lightweight and very durable. The composite construction was attacked by doubters, but even today the FL T 8x32 is still a very good glass.
The larger glass shown below FL Ts are still better than many offered today IMO, and built to high standards which seem to be lacking. Now the price of a FL T 8X32 has gone up, like every other premium optic, but one can get one in good shape (not abused) secondhand for less than retail. The key is try one out if you can, by mail or in a store, and if you do not like it, send it back.

Andy W.

Attachments

• 8x42 8X5610X56.jpg
    8x42 8X5610X56.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 293
  • DSCF2453.jpg
    DSCF2453.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 257
I'd back what has been said; the composite body is what makes it light, but seems pretty bomb-proof to me. Mine has had dog's abuse over the last 5 years, looks like new and is my primary birding bin for almost all conditions. I got mine second hand on ebay for £800, found out from Zeiss it was made in 2007 (so has the Lototec water-repelling coating on the lenses, although i'm not sure if optically that makes any difference); i'm just about to send it in for it's first service - not cos anything's wrong, but after 11 years, it must need something!
To me it's the finest 8x32 - some will tell you the Swaro EL is better, and that is in the eye of the beholder. For me, it isn't.
The compactness and durability have more than justified that terrifying moment 5 years back of 'submit bid' with 3 seconds remaining!

...they were cited as having a plasticky, easily-marked focus knob and looking somehow less 'alpha' grade cosmetically than could be expected of the marque.
My questions are: is that a fair criticism?...

No. Absolutely not. I have used mine heavily, in brutal conditions, since the model was first introduced, and it looks almost new. It is a robust design and it resists blemishes etc admirably. The "plastic feel" is arguably detectable in the full-sized FL models, but not in the x32 because they are too small to feel anything less than rigid.

...And has Zeiss in any case upgraded/tweaked the cosmetics - or for that matter the optics - during the production run?...
I have a fairly early production unit. A friend has a recently made unit. We can't tell any difference optically. The cosmetics have changed slightly. Mine has plain rubber armoring, but a few years later they added the model name near the hinge. Around that same time, the eyecup design changed to one that is slightly smaller diameter, slightly more flexible "rubber", and with a more rounded lip. I prefer the newer eyecups, so obtained them from Zeiss. The most significant other change was the addition of LotuTec coatings, which I find useful (in other bins that I own).

...Also: are these by current standards a top design in their class?...
I would say yes, for sure. Anyone purchasing a top-end x32 should given them a look, along with the Leica x32 Ultravid and the Swarovski 8x32 EL SV. Those three bins have very different spec and optical personalities, so you are likely to enjoy one of them much more than the others. For myself, I've found that the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket is so good, and optically "feels" and performs so much like an x32 bin, that I will be using my 8x32 FL much less in the future. In fact, at this point (after ~2 weeks of testing), I've found that under most conditions that I prefer it optically and ergonomically over the 8x32 FL.

--AP

I would say yes, for sure. Anyone purchasing a top-end x32 should given them a look, along with the Leica x32 Ultravid and the Swarovski 8x32 EL SV. Those three bins have very different spec and optical personalities, so you are likely to enjoy one of them much more than the others.

--AP

Do not forget the great Nikon EDG 8x32...;)

The Zeiss Victory 8x32 is still a very good pair of binoculars, optically and mechanically in the upper class.:t:

Andreas

Thank you all for your quick replies, Andy, Andreas, Alexis, and Paddy. I can see I've just joined a very supportive forum. I will use your advice carefully. Now to find some time to go out and observe birds!

Tom

I personally liked the 8x32 FL better than the 8x32 Swarovision. The Swarovision provided an easier view upon first putting them up to your eyes, but had excessive glare and, to my eyes, more Chromatic Aberration.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back