• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CS5 Stopped Working (1 Viewer)

snowyowl

I've been using CS5 on my Windows 10 desktop and on my Windows 10 lapteop for several years. This week it has stopped working on the desktop and I get amessage telling me that there are licensing issues with the program and quoting Error Code 213.11. It recommends restarting the computer and retrying. Did that but it didn't help. Next I uninstalled then reinstalled the program. No change. I contacted the Adobe help forums but so far no help. One person said it was Windows 10 and using an old program. I use CS 5 because I refuse to switched to rent by the month system that Adobe has put in place. I could do my editing on my laptop (until that has the same problem) but much prefer editing on my desktop because of the bigger monitor and the more standardized lighting conditions. If I can't solve this problem then I will give up PS and use DPP and Faststone for all of my editing.
Can anyone suggest a solution to my CS5 problem?

did you try installing using compatability mode?
not that that explains it stopping working so also try rolling back beyond last update which was a major one. i only really advise this if you keep a working machine for creative and such purposes OFF the 'net.

I've tried the things suggested but no change. I don't think that this is acompatibilty issue. I wonder if this a Adobe effort to stop people using older versions of PS.

Not that it helps,
but I run CS5 on two Win10 machines with no issues for several years now.
One, a desktop, came with Win10 and CS5 installed and runs without problem. The other, a laptop, came with Win8 and CS5 was installed under Win8 and Win8 was then updated to Win10 and none of the software, including CS5, had to be reinstalled after the update.
So it is not a sudden incompatibility unless a recent Win10 update created one -lost my Bluetooth card the other day that way, and a wifi card on a previous occasion-.

The problem I had when reinstalling software was that after deleting the old installation somewhere on the drive some old files where left behind, or entries in registries not deleted that screwed up re-installation efforts.

CS5 is still running fine on my laptop. Since this issue on my desktop computer I've stopped using CS5 entirely and use DPP for editing. The only aspect of Ps that I miss is the brush tool which I used to put my signature, year and copyright symbol on my pictures.

CS5 Issue

CS5 is still running fine on my laptop. Since this issue on my desktop computer I've stopped using CS5 entirely and use DPP for editing. The only aspect of Ps that I miss is the brush tool which I used to put my signature, year and copyright symbol on my pictures.

You have two separate computers, so Microsoft on windows wants to see two separate licenses for two separate computers.

You have to use a specific removal tool, which runs in dos windows, so remove every trace and reg file, then do a clean install.
You can buy a reg licence on eBay, or anywhere that sells CS5, including Adobe.

The program to find on the net is: AdobeCreativeCloudCleanerTool.exe

I can't remember if it goes back to CS5, if only CS6 and above, then sorry for wasting your time.

You can download and use the tool, as it will not harm anything, but simply let you go through the screens to see what you can and cannot uninstall, and do a fresh install.

I used it to delete all cloud activity from my PC's as I do not follow the sheep in life being ordered to use a subscription to fleece the millions of money and nothing to do with productivity.

Every PC now has to be able to be accessed, hence older programs did not allow this, so governments are ordering companies to shut down or re-invent their programs to allow access at any time.
The end users are not aware of the changes, only suddenly certain programs do not work suddenly, which of course is meant to happen, but it stumps the user as to how or what happened.
Russia is banning the use of windows 10 entirely as it is not an operating system, but a massive intelligence gathering program devised by the CIA and Microsoft, which is watching every keystroke and activity you do, even when not connected to the internet.

I can talk you through the tool if you need help with it after downloading.
Just come back here if you need more help.

Thanks but I have stopped using PS entirely. It is annoying that I can't use what I paid for but I prefer not to cave in to Adobe.

Thanks but I have stopped using PS entirely. It is annoying that I can't use what I paid for but I prefer not to cave in to Adobe.
I don't blame you.

It might be worth noting that CS6 was the last boxed version you could buy. You might try getting ahold of that version.

I am able to use the Creative Cloud apps as part of my work, but if all else fails I've kept CS6 installed on my computer as a safety net. I'm not keen on rental software either.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I use Lightroom 6 and you don't have to pay rental for it. About 18 months ago I ordered the installation DVD from Amazon for £100, and though it shows as a "trial" at first, after the "trial period" is up (a month I think) all the trial Creative Cloud nonsense disappears and you have a fully functional standalone Lightroom 6. Can't remember all the details but I have prevented the program communicating with the internet as I don't want updates etc. Nor do I want to store stuff in the Cloud. Adobe don't make it clear that you can use it as a one-off standalone, of course, because they want your money. £100 is all they'll ever get from me.

It's been a vast improvement on Canon's DPP software.

Last edited:
DPP is completely free and I find it quite user friendly and it does almost every thing that I need to do. The latest version is very deferent to the earlier versions.

DPP is completely free and I find it quite user friendly and it does almost every thing that I need to do. The latest version is very deferent to the earlier versions.
Hi Dan

Belated thanks for this. I have DPP4 installed, but might investigate the latest version, which is apparently 4.8.20. I did find DPP4 useful for removing unwanted objects etc from an image - better than Lightroom for this purpose. The main problem I used to get with it was in sharpening, which (in DPP4 anyway) tended to produce nasty artifacts. Sharpening in Lightroom doesn't do that.

There are other reasons why I prefer Lightroom, but won't go into those now.

Anyway, cheers and all the best

Hi Dan
The main problem I used to get with it was in sharpening, which (in DPP4 anyway) tended to produce nasty artifacts. Sharpening in Lightroom doesn't do that.
That is a really interesting comment. One of the reasons that I recently started to use DPP much more than previously was the amount of noise that I was getting in my pictures. I read somewhere that if I used EOS Utility to download my shots then used DPP to edit them I would end up with less noise. My cameras are a Canon 50D and a Canon 7D. The 7D was given far too much noise.
Using the Canon software did seem to give me a better result. I started downloading and doing some initial sorting and editing that way but switched to CS5 for final sharpening and to add my signature. I also find that dust removal ids easier in CS5 than in DPP, although I wonder if that is my lack of skill with DPP than a real difference.

I'm assuming Lightroom has Unsharp Mask, and y'all are using that and not the generic "Sharpen" command? At minimum, CS5/CS6 users should use Unsharp Mask instead of Sharpen.

Also, if you're on Creative Cloud, you should use Smart Sharpen.

You get much more control with Unsharp Mask (which is, in reality, a sharpening feature, despite the counter-intuitive name) and Smart Sharpen.

I'm using aftermarket plugins to go even farther (Topaz Labs Clarity and Topax Labs DeNoise), but I'm a Photoshop nerd, kinda picky, and don't have as nice a camera...so my photos need advanced help. ;)

You have two separate computers, so Microsoft on windows wants to see two separate licenses for two separate computers.

This has nothing to do with the issue of not being able to install and run CS5.
Adobe allows CS5, CS6, and LR6 to run on two computers with one license. This is checked somehoe online AFTER installing and starting the software. To be able to run the software on a 3rd machine you will be ask (by Adobe, not MS) to inactivate -not uninstall- it on one of the two previous machines to free up a license for the new one before it will allow you to work with it.

This can be done with a few clicks in the software, or on your adobe account where the software is registered (in case a registered machine is dead or inaccessible). IT's easy to switch licenses between computers as long as one remembers in time to inactivate stuff on one machine that is not in use.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back