• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Summery: a casual birding trip in China (1 Viewer)

Nice! Another one that has continued to elude me so far.

Brief search on eBird of Chinese Egret suggested it prefers salt water more than fresh water. Not sure if it's true as data may not be sufficient to draw any conclusion. The one I saw was feeding by Bohai sea (salt water) B :)

Just looked at your pic on ebird and it looks good for a Chinese to me. Yellow bill, extensive plumes, black, short legs, yellow feet. Can't judge size by the photo, so you will have to speak to that. Add in the location and I think it is good.

I need to update my computer system. The displays have gotten much better in the last 10 years and my eyesight has gone the other way. ;) I tried but couldn't be sure about the lores.

I uploaded two more photos. The first one shows the lore a little better (maybe). The second gave another non-Little Egret field mark: plumes.

Attachments

• P5230002.jpg
    P5230002.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 11
  • P5230004.jpg
    P5230004.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 11
Chinese Egret Lore colour transition

Now you both have me searching photos about this!

I was not in Dalian each year in July so have no photos from that month.

Below are all photos of purple lores taken in April or May.

Attachments

• Chinese Egret 595954.jpg
    Chinese Egret 595954.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Chinese Egret 1.jpg
    Chinese Egret 1.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Chinese Egret 2.jpg
    Chinese Egret 2.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 74
Adults losing purples lores or already lost

All of these were taken in August or September. One has a fun gull in the background ;)

Attachments

• Chinese Egret 7bk3.jpg
    Chinese Egret 7bk3.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Chinese Egret 776.jpg
    Chinese Egret 776.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Chinese Egret 8743.jpg
    Chinese Egret 8743.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Chinese Egret 55362.jpg
    Chinese Egret 55362.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Chinese Egret 332409.jpg
    Chinese Egret 332409.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 79
Tom, you inspired me to search through all my Egret photos for something I may have missed. Especially back when all long legged white birds looked the same to me. 3:) No luck though. Seems I've already corrected any mistakes there.

Wow! - Little Gull - a fun gull indeed Tom!

Very few records in East China.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
I posted this bird for ID help.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=364125
I think it's more about clarification than identification. What's the status of Taiga/Red-breasted Flycatcher in Liaoning?
I normally stay away from flycatchers (visual identification) but they always got me in trouble 8-P

Attachments

• P5120281.jpg
    P5120281.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 78
  • P5120295.jpg
    P5120295.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 74
Lancy,

Close enough to either Taiga (which I would default to) or Red-Breasted to intrigue me. I would like to see if it is red on grey or red on white. If you email me the originals, I'll see what I can do with enhancing those images. JPEG is fine, but send it full size and best quality.

I don't think it's Mugimaki as I don't see any evidence of the prominent wide white eyebrow patch.

Well, the photos helped. I was able to draw out enough detail that I now have swung to the Mugimaki camp. However, the debate continues on the ID forum over male or female. Seems clearly female to me as it lacks any hint of the eyebrow streak behind and above the eye.

And I complain about gulls being hard to ID ;)

Attachments

• P5120257-1.jpg
    P5120257-1.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 9
  • P5120281.jpg
    P5120281.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 7
  • P5120286.jpg
    P5120286.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 9
Well, the photos helped. I was able to draw out enough detail that I now have swung to the Mugimaki camp. However, the debate continues on the ID forum over male or female. Seems clearly female to me as it lacks any hint of the eyebrow streak behind and above the eye.

And I complain about gulls being hard to ID ;)

I forgot to post the link of the bird singing:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/93331440@N08/42323613985/in/dateposted-public/
Would a female bird sing?
Gulls are hard but pleasant to ID. Flycatchers are hard to ID :p

Well, if nothing else, you certainly got a lively debate going in the ID Forum! :t: I say your safe in claiming Mugimaki. It even sounds good for Mugimaki. The sex and age are still being argued over there and I have decided that I already expressed my opinion and now I'm going to stay out of that one! ;)

Last edited:
Well, if nothing else, you certainly got a lively debate going in the ID Forum! :t: I say your safe in claiming Mugimaki. It even sounds good for Mugimaki. The sex and age are still being argued over there and I have decided that I already expressed my opinion and now I'm going to stay out of that one! ;)

At least I wouldn't have to worry about sex only age most of the time when I'm watching gulls :p

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back