• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 7x42 B/GA -- what does GA mean (1 Viewer)

murphie2

Probably a simple question but I am confused --nothing much new there :). I own a pair of Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 B T*P binoculars. Everywhere I have looked on the web it seems all I find are B/GA's. Can anyone explain the difference.
Thanks in advance,
Scott

murphie2 said:
Probably a simple question but I am confused --nothing much new there :). I own a pair of Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 B T*P binoculars. Everywhere I have looked on the web it seems all I find are B/GA's. Can anyone explain the difference.
Thanks in advance,
Scott
The model was produced originally as the Zeiss B/GA. As Zeiss developed new optics coatings they added them. First the T* multi-layer anti-reflective coating (thus B/GA T*), then the P* phase correction coating (thus B/GA T*P*). Same bins, just extra coatings on the optics for a brighter, clearer view. You, therefore, have the last produced model.

murphie2 said:
Thanks in advance,
Scott

According to a Zeiss brochure:

B = Binoculars with special eyepieces for eyeglass wearers
GA = Binoculars with rubber armoring
T* = Multicoating

As stated in the previous post, "P" refers to phase coating. This was supplanted by "P*" but I don't know the distinction, maybe an improved phase coating?

So, your binoculars are designed for use with eyeglasses, have multicoating and phase coating, but are not rubber armored (probably leather). Sounds interesting. ;)

Ed

Answer to term GA

Mike Johnston said:
The GA may not be written on the bins. It probably has 'Dialyt 7x42 B' written on top, and 'T*P*' on the front.

Hello to all,
This is the first time I post a message on this site although I've been reading the mail for over a year. The term GA stands for Gummi Armierung in german. the translation is rubber armouring as stated in a previous post.

Bruno Bouliane.

Hello, just chanced across this thread and it seems the right place for this query I had today when looking online for secondhand binoculars.

There is a pair for sale: a Zeiss Dialyt described as 7x42B and I see from the photo that it is a late model as it is marked T*P* and I believe that the extra asterisk after the P shows it is the last version.

(1). The question is this: there is no mention of G/A for rubber armour in the sale description and though the picture looks rubber armoured, were there any non-armoured 7x42B T*P*s made? I don't want it if it isn't armoured. The earlier posts on this thread suggest it probably is but I'd like to make sure!

(2). Are these models still serviceable by Zeiss; do they have the parts such as eyecups etc if it needs a bit of refurbishment as it will at some stage?

Thank you,

Tom

1. It is rubber armoured. I don't believe that 'G/A' is part of the official designation for this model.

2. Yes. See my 'Magnificent Service from Zeiss UK!' post earlier today.

It's an excellent binocular.

Graham

Hi Graham,

Just seen it and in turn you should see my reply on that thread. You've helped me spend quite a lot of money, for which I am actually grateful... because it's for something I wanted but till now was worried about buying because I didn't have a service contact.

Since seen your post above. Looking forward to trying out my own example when it arrives in about a week's time.

Thanks for alerting me to this magnificent repair service! Very helpful indeed.

Tom

Last edited:
Hi,

as has been mentioned, GA means rubber armoured - actually it's comes form the german term gummiarmiert which means the same.

There is some post on BF by a member then working for Zeiss, that the P for phase coating was changed to P* at some point for marketing reasons to go with T* but without any change to coatings. To complete the confusion on even later models (21st century) the P or P* designation was not used any more with the explanation that all current Zeiss models were phase coated and thus no more identifier for this was needed. Collectors in some years will love this...

Joachim

Hi,

as has been mentioned, GA means rubber armoured - actually it's comes form the german term gummiarmiert which means the same.

There is some post on BF by a member then working for Zeiss, that the P for phase coating was changed to P* at some point for marketing reasons to go with T* but without any change to coatings. To complete the confusion on even later models (21st century) the P or P* designation was not used any more with the explanation that all current Zeiss models were phase coated and thus no more identifier for this was needed. Collectors in some years will love this...

Joachim

Joachim this is the perfect explanation.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back