Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Upton Warren

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1100 votes, 4.91 average.
Old Saturday 16th June 2012, 21:44   #11251
upstarts1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Andrews View Post
Hi John - did you see the goose yesterday and if so, what did you make of it? Think the last Ross's at UW sported a gold ring?
No, I think Andy P did or was it Alan Hambury, I know somebody did.
Old Saturday 16th June 2012, 21:44   #11252
forgetfulelephant

Quote:
No - mine was the real deal; notably smaller than the Canadas around it with obvious black primaries.
Oh good!
Old Saturday 16th June 2012, 21:45   #11253
forgetfulelephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstarts1979 View Post
Your right it is a hybrid Rob. The 'ross's goose' was seen on Friday..it is much smaller and totally white with black wing tips and a small pink bill and 'soft' expression.John
Thanks John
Old Saturday 16th June 2012, 21:56   #11254
Spoonbill Finder

Quote:
It certainly wasn't me! I remember seeing that one with the gold ring last year.
Old Saturday 16th June 2012, 22:27   #11255
Gertatron

Quote:
Tonight from Biking birder : sanderling, hobby and 2 common gulls and 8 curlew, at the Flashes
Curlew up to 10, plus Tawny Owl.
Old Sunday 17th June 2012, 11:36   #11256
AlanH46

Quote:
Definite Ross' Goose, but obviously of very dubious origins, present on Friday until 9.30am when it flew off SW with the Canadas.

Difficult to decide if leg ring is silver coloured or gold coloured.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	450D_000812.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	390579  
Old Sunday 17th June 2012, 12:12   #11257
Gertatron

Green Sandpiper on the Flashes. Can only find 7 Avocet chicks. Young Water Rail showing well.

Last edited by Gertatron : Sunday 17th June 2012 at 12:26.
Old Sunday 17th June 2012, 12:22   #11258
GoldenI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanH46 View Post
Definite Ross' Goose, but obviously of very dubious origins, present on Friday until 9.30am when it flew off SW with the Canadas.

great looking bird despite its dodgy origins
Old Sunday 17th June 2012, 12:59   #11259
Gertatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertatron View Post
Green Sandpiper on the Flashes. Can only find 7 Avocet chicks. Young Water Rail showing well.
Plus 2 nd year Common Gull and 2 Raven.

Last edited by Gertatron : Sunday 17th June 2012 at 13:11.
Old Sunday 17th June 2012, 13:30   #11260
forgetfulelephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanH46 View Post

Good to see a nice clear image of it Alan.

Rob
Old Sunday 17th June 2012, 15:24   #11261
Gertatron

Further to the sightings I posted on earlier from the Flashes - here's a few pics - the Green Sandpiper that dropped in, Common Gull and a distant shot of the juv Water Rail
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GreenSand.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	390614  Click image for larger version

Name:	CGull.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	390615  Click image for larger version

Name:	WRAil.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	390616  
Old Sunday 17th June 2012, 16:10   #11262
woodwolf

Made use of the new screens on the North Moors to observe the Reed Warblers at close quarter this morning.
There was a large emergence of Cinnabar Caterpillars ( along with the moths present) in the Eddy this morning. Butterflies seen were Speckled Wood, Common Blue, Large White, Red Admiral and a Skipper that was probably a Large, but skipped off pronto.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	reedwarb.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	390638  

Last edited by woodwolf : Sunday 17th June 2012 at 16:54.
Old Sunday 17th June 2012, 19:44   #11263
midlands birder

Only ok photo i manadged of yesterdays Sanderling in a brief spell of sunshine

Name:	DSCN8385.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	390673
MB
Old Sunday 17th June 2012, 20:26   #11264
cooky1

Hi gang,

A few photo`s from the flashes this PM.
No sign of the Green Sandpiper while i was there but the Common Gull played ball.
There was an airshow at Cosford today and we had our own display at Upton with several "dogfights" with the Avocets and anything that flew over they took a dislike too.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	com gul 2 a.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	390688  Click image for larger version

Name:	com gul 3 a.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	390689  Click image for larger version

Name:	avo 5 a.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	390690  Click image for larger version

Name:	dogfight 1 a.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	390691  
Old Sunday 17th June 2012, 20:48   #11265
upstarts1979

Spent the afternoon at the Mecca with crofty junior (and banana and walnut cake-quality).
Started at a very slow pace clockwise from the car park around the North Moors trail. A good selection of birds all around the site. In the scrubby areas plenty of common garden birds, plus 2 singing whitethroats, blackcap (2), chiffchaff (2), and two reed warblers sang in the north end blackthorn. All along the trail, reed warblers sang in the reeds, including at least 1 in front of the viewing screens (between 8 and 10 birds in this section of the reserve). Also 2 sedge warblers were seen along the east side of the reed bed. In the south east corner a water rail called.
During a shower I spent a good time motionless just inside the plantation. From here, there were good numbers of young of all the 3 common tits, also at least 1 chaffinch family, several chiffchaff young and 2 males sang. Further into the wood were at least 3 males and several juvenile blackcaps. Also seen was a great spotted woodpecker carrying food as well as plenty of blackbirds, robin and dunnocks. This was certainly the most productive days birder in this area for a good few years. The only way to work it, is to spend a good couple of hours in there at a very slow pace and stand still for a while - the 'northern half is by far the best area. On the water were 2 cormorants and 2 tufted and a common tern fished the pool while a kestrel hovered above the periphery.
Old Sunday 17th June 2012, 21:09   #11266
upstarts1979

After the North Moors we moved onto the Moors section. Starting at the secret garden which was a bit quiet, we moved onto the 'east hide' passing a couple of singing chiffs, reed warblers plus bullfinch. From the hide the 2nd pair of Oystercatchers have at least 2 very small chicks on the Broadmeadow island. There were also 8 lapwing a sign of migration is underway. With most of the BHG now vacating the moors for the Flashes, the door was open for common terns to move in and today 8 adults seemed to be settling on the main shingle island. The 2 GCG were still hitching a ride on the adults back, but the other 2 pairs have no young. The cuckoo was still calling from the education reserve. Plenty of swift fed high up and a handful of sand martin fed over the pool. Walking back to the west hide, another water rail was heard on the moors side of the causeway, where 4 reed bunting held territory.
other species counts
GCG 6, cormorant 2, Tufted 8, herring gull 2, BHG 30 plus no more than 10 young,
there are at least 17 bee-orchids this year.
Old Sunday 17th June 2012, 21:22   #11267
upstarts1979

Finally onto the Flashes
The green sand from earlier in the day was not visible and could well be on the 3rd flash were a lapwing dropped onto.
The Avocet chicks were down to 7 with broods of 1:1:2 and 3. The original brood of 4 are now down to 2 and these were bigger than the recently lost chick. However they are themselves 2/3 the size of the largest chicks but only 2 days younger. There are at least 6 LRP still around and just 1 lapwing. The pair of teal from yesterday are still about, as is the pair of shelduck.
Also seen today: tufted 12, common gull 1st summer, common tern, BHG c200, Buzzard 3, stock dove 5, raven and more reed warblers, now singing from the scrub next to the hide.
On the sailing pool 4 GCG with 2 half grown chicks
John
Old Sunday 17th June 2012, 21:36   #11268
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

How was the water level John - was absolutely p!ssing down as I drove passed on the M5 half an hour ago.

Great news re the second pair of Oyks.
Old Monday 18th June 2012, 07:23   #11269
rollingthunder

For those who have caught up with a Cuckoo at UW (or elsewhere) you might or might not be aware of last years BTO ringing and GPS transmitter project. 5 male Cuckoos were suitably kitted out for there local meanderings and the Southbound journey to their African wintering quarters Sud-Sahel. 2 made it back to Blighty and a further 11 males have been rung this Summer (?) in Norfolk, Wales and Scotland.

Link to current background article on Birdguides....

http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?a=3309

and link to the BTO project page......

http://www.bto.org/science/migration...uckoo-tracking

Something of interest to brighten up the dull days over the next few months....

Laurie
Old Monday 18th June 2012, 10:08   #11270
upstarts1979

Quote:
How was the water level John - was absolutely p!ssing down as I drove passed on the M5 half an hour ago.

Great news re the second pair of Oyks.
Sorry Phil did mean to mention it. 0.46, I left about 2" of 'flow' through the out pipe.
Today and Tuesday should be relatively dry, but Thursday looks wet again. I will assess it again tomorrow afternoon and take appropriate action.
John
Old Monday 18th June 2012, 12:54   #11271
PeterE

This morning's highlights

The Moors:
Cuckoo heard and seen (in the trio of dead trees and flying north; Little Owl on farm chimney, 4 Oyster catchers and 2 young (one of which was flying short distances) and associated Lapwing [worryingly there was no sign of the new Oystercatcher chicks and their parents were remarkably inactive and apparently not feeding]; 2 Swans and 3 cygnets; 2 GCGs and 2 chicks; Little Grebe; Common Tern. The white domestic duck was fiercely defending 4 (apparently) Mallard ducklings. Did she mate with a Mallard drake?

The Flashes:

7 Avocet chicks (it was not easy to count but I had an experienced second opinion); Common Gull, 1 Oystercatcher; 2 Shelduck.

Peter
Old Monday 18th June 2012, 18:10   #11272
upstarts1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterE View Post
This morning's highlights

The Moors:
Cuckoo heard and seen (in the trio of dead trees and flying north; Little Owl on farm chimney, 4 Oyster catchers and 2 young (one of which was flying short distances) and associated Lapwing [worryingly there was no sign of the new Oystercatcher chicks and their parents were remarkably inactive and apparently not feeding]; 2 Swans and 3 cygnets; 2 GCGs and 2 chicks; Little Grebe; Common Tern. The white domestic duck was fiercely defending 4 (apparently) Mallard ducklings. Did she mate with a Mallard drake?
Peter
Hi Peter
I noticed the white duck with the mallard type chicks, perhaps she kidnapped them. I would have expected paler chicks if they were her own.

Re the new Oyc brood: Were the adults on the Broadmeadow island? yesterday the freshly hatched chicks were hiding in the long vegetation whist the adults sat on guard only saw them once. So maybe they are just lying low.
John
Old Monday 18th June 2012, 18:51   #11273
PeterE

Quote:
Hi Peter
I noticed the white duck with the mallard type chicks, perhaps she kidnapped them. I would have expected paler chicks if they were her own.

Re the new Oyc brood: Were the adults on the Broadmeadow island? yesterday the freshly hatched chicks were hiding in the long vegetation whist the adults sat on guard only saw them once. So maybe they are just lying low.
John
Hi John,

If the white duck wasn't the real mother she was certainly acting as if she was: she was flying at the coots and chasing them off and she shepherded the ducklings away from possible harm. However, I agree about the colouration.

The adult Oystercatchers were on the Broadmeadow spit where they had their nest. I was there for about an hour and a half but didn't see any sign of chicks or feeding behaviour.

Peter
Old Monday 18th June 2012, 20:26   #11274
forgetfulelephant

The white domestic duck was fiercely defending 4 (apparently) Mallard ducklings. Did she mate with a Mallard drake?

Yes she did Peter I witnessed the act. Pretty sure she did the same last year & the young were very Mallardish!
Old Monday 18th June 2012, 20:58   #11275
upstarts1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterE View Post
Hi John,

If the white duck wasn't the real mother she was certainly acting as if she was: she was flying at the coots and chasing them off and she shepherded the ducklings away from possible harm. However, I agree about the colouration.

The adult Oystercatchers were on the Broadmeadow spit where they had their nest. I was there for about an hour and a half but didn't see any sign of chicks or feeding behaviour.

Peter
Will have a good look tomorrow,
I did see one of the white ducks presumably a male (when there were 3) a couple of years ago piling into a pair of mating mallard and ousted the mallard. Pretty aggressive little 'white boys'.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: