• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on this setup (scope/tripod) before I buy (1 Viewer)

merbella

This is what I am now thinking now. I ordered the EDIII but wasn't available so that got me going on another track and am thinking

Nikon ED 82mm w/zoom (would prefer without but can't get body only anymore) and add 30W eyepiece-thinking MC rather than DS as can use both with setup, just requires some adapters for MC
Maybe a filter for protection?

Manfrotto 055 v and 701RC head (trying to save a little with the 055v rather than the MFV)

Maybe some digiscoping equipment down the road...

Let me know your thoughts before I place final order

I don't think you'll need the filter, otherwise your choice is hard to question. Once you get the chance to view side-by-side with the ED 82 and the ED 60 III you'll see that you were fortunate not to be able to get the latter. The weakest link will be the tripod, but to improve on it substantially you'd have to go: a) heavier, b) carbon (and hence much more expensive) or c) ashwood (somewhat heavier and not nearly as compact). If you want to get some info on tripod rigidity, check Jan Meijerink's test reports in dutch on www.tvwg.nl under "testrapporten" and then "statieven" as well as "panoramakoppen." The photos that display shake amplitudes for different tripod types, as well as the damping times in seconds, are pretty self-evident even if you cannot divine any Dutch. If you do get interested in ashwood tripods, at least B&H sells Berlebach in the U.S.

Kimmo

Last edited:
Sounds like a very nice combo to me. I wouldn't bother with the filter.

Regarding your tripod question, in my experience carbon fiber tripods are more stable than aluminum because they damp vibrations more quickly. I've found this to be especially true of Bogen tripods as compared to Gitzo (Gitzo does a great job with vibration damping even in aluminum models).

--AP

the weakest link is the head , i would take a 128 head or a 501, about the filter ,i have one and its a extra security for protecting the front lens from dirt and scratches !!!, its a good investement, i have a sigma multicoated uv filter 86 mm

What is the difference between the 055v and 055pro?

The 055pro has a splitable central column which makes it great for low level and macro shots.

As for heads, the 701 would be fine, though I agree that the 128 is a nicer head. If you don't mind the extra weight/cost the 501 is much better than either of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back