• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

that Jonsson (1 Viewer)

Strandman

Got my grubby paws on the new Jonsson's Birds from Helm today (too greedy to wait until Christmas) and it is awesome of course.

The section comprising watercolours is really something- read it and weep. Shame he doesn't post on this sub-forum really..

The oil portraits slightly fewer in number than in Birds and Light and to my eye on a first read, they are reproduced slightly darker and less richly coloured than in B and L. It's so striking how many of his oil portraits and lithographs are of standing / resting birds- but maybe that's what essential portraits are about- you sit for a portrait and you don't expect or want portraits of people running up stairs, riding bicycles...

Apparently his latest project is to be more sketchbook based- sketches of all holarctic ducks geese swans waders in fact- so that should be nice!

Great book and a great read isn't it? (I have to confess to having owned a copy for a few months now - many, many thanks to a secret benefactor - P).
The new project sounds intriguing.

I have to confess to having owned a copy for a few months now - many, many thanks to a secret benefactor - P).
The new project sounds intriguing.

You crafty old dog.

I'm just at the end of my second whizz through and amongst the many things is another reminder (even as early as his intro) of the importance to him of viewing/drawing/painting via a telescope, to transport him across the intervening distance to where the bird is. Hence his birds often being centrally placed and often with the most intense detail around head and bill; with legs, vegetation radically less detailed, even if at the same distance and in photography terms in the same plane of focus.

Lots to admire and to think about.

another one for the xmas list - the man is magic, inspirational but confidence-crushing with his brilliance - one can still have aspirations, but compared to him, that's what they will probably always be. Eh! That sounds positive! :), better get back to my aspirations (which in French means hooverings - oh la la!)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back