• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bunting Portugal Yesterday (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
So had this bird yesterday - through binos I didn't think this was a reed bunting. Looking at the pictures it looks like one but the legs for one are very light....

Any thoughts? I have obviously lightened one...

One other thing that puzzles me is the white spot on the cheek.

Attachments

• Bunting Lisbon 2 lightened.JPG
    Bunting Lisbon 2 lightened.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 227
  • Bunting Lisbon.JPG
    Bunting Lisbon.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Bunting Lisbon 3.JPG
    Bunting Lisbon 3.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Bunting Lisbon 4.JPG
    Bunting Lisbon 4.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Bunting Lisbon 5.JPG
    Bunting Lisbon 5.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 67
Thanks for prompt replies.

Actually almost identical to Asturias bird on another thread... white spot ‘an-all’

Please note, if I remember it correctly (I actually havent this book at hand), that the pale ear-covert spot was mentioned as a field-mark (less than an ID- criteria) by Andrew Cole in "In search of the Cirl Bunting". I looked at many Cirl Buntings, but found many females where this spot was absent.
In Yellowhammer this feature is quite variable, but rarely so well marked as in Cirl.
As a very general rule, it is either present and obvious in (winter) female Cirl, or absent (" intermediate" birds are quite rare).
In Yellowhammer this feature is ranked from absent to quite obvious. Although, in many cases, when this spot is obvious in Yellowhammer, the ear-coverts are uniformly dark (and not pale, framed dark by eye- and moustachial stripe as in Cirl).

Also note that the late Martin Garner mentioned this a the "rare bunting rear ear covert spot" in regard to Pine bunting ID: https://birdingfrontiers.wordpress.com/2011/12/24/female-pine-bunting/

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back