• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ocean birds from ferry between N & S Island of New Zealand 11/9/2019 (1 Viewer)

jmercer

These are birds spotted from the ferry between islands. I'm guessing Juvenile Kelp Gull for the first, but the head looks off. I'm guessing Westland Petrel or White-chinned Petrel for the others, but the one picture seems to show the underside and it appears light. Thanks,

Attachments

• q_7049.JPG
    q_7049.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 108
  • q_7050.JPG
    q_7050.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 111
  • q_7056.JPG
    q_7056.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 83
  • q1_7060.JPG
    q1_7060.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
  • q_7060.JPG
    q_7060.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 78
Not sure, but guessing Solander's Petrel for #2, Westland for #3 & 5. Maybe Sooty Shearwater for #4.

Not sure, but guessing Solander's Petrel for #2.

I can't offer a better answer, other than similar to original poster's suggestion, but a according to NZbirds online, there have only ever been 5 or 6 records of Solander's Petrel (Providence Petrel) in New Zealand.

I can't offer a better answer, other than similar to original poster's suggestion, but a according to NZbirds online, there have only ever been 5 or 6 records of Solander's Petrel (Providence Petrel) in New Zealand.
Good point. How about Grey-faced Petrel?

Not great pictures but I like the given answers of Gray-faced and Westland Petrels, and either a Sooty or Short-tailed Shearwater. First picture is perhaps a Kelp Gull?

I think you could put the two Petrels and the Gull in, with photos. Local reviewers can then either accept or reject your records...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back