• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

Flashes birding

The barn owl appeared early again at 4.45pm it flew across the front of the cuckoo hide and then on to the Hen pool. Luckily for those in the avocet hide it did perform later along the Hen Brook.
Also Little egret 2. 25+. gadwall pr +2 males. (10 on reserve ). Shelduck pr +6 from moors. tufted 20.
Curlew 19. lapwing 600. Green sand 4 in to roost. Avocet 3. Oystercatcher 2.
BHG 700 roosted.
Barn owl.

The barn owl appeared early again at 4.45pm it flew across the front of the cuckoo hide and then on to the Hen pool. Luckily for those in the avocet hide it did perform later along the Hen Brook.
Also Little egret 2. 25+. gadwall pr +2 males. (10 on reserve ). Shelduck pr +6 from moors. tufted 20.
Curlew 19. lapwing 600. Green sand 4 in to roost. Avocet 3. Oystercatcher 2.
BHG 700 roosted.
Barn owl.

Is the 25+ in relation to Teal?

Anyone know what plant this is ..it was on the river bank

Can't be sure as scale and detail unclear, but it looks like a vigorous Puschkinia. Probably goes back some time as nurseries now supply somewhat daintier specimens with less vigorous/overwhelming leaves. (Or it has naturalised that way!).

Last edited:
Please find attached the next two annual reports to be made available:

1987 - year of the Rustic Bunting (cover illustration by Richard Harbird), Quail, the reserve's only Long-tailed Skua and the first Mediterranean Gull and Cetti's Warbler records.

1988 - year of the Least Sandpiper (cover illustration by Gordon Greaves' daughter) plus the reserve's first Spoonbill and Arctic Skua.

Attachments

• 1987 UW annual report.pdf
    7.5 MB · Views: 64
  • 1988 UW annual report.pdf
    8.1 MB · Views: 64
Also just discovered I have 20 Upton car-stickers. For those who haven't seen them, they depict an LRP on shingle and were/are Upton's signature bird (depends on whether or not they've been usurped by Avocet ;))

50p each for those who want one, though perhaps should charge more as the supply diminishes :-O:-O

Can I have one please? :)

Stickers

Also just discovered I have 20 Upton car-stickers. For those who haven't seen them, they depict an LRP on shingle and were/are Upton's signature bird (depends on whether or not they've been usurped by Avocet ;))

50p each for those who want one, though perhaps should charge more as the supply diminishes :-O:-O

One for me as well please Mike.:t:

Chris

I'm interested in some of the old reports and a car sticker if or when any left.

Only lived in the area fairly recently, so only just become a member. I understand the regulars will need to be first obviously.

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Avocet (13)---------------Barn Owl @ 17.10 flew along the western boundary of the Flashes.
Curlew (19)---------------Snipe (1)
Oystercatcher (1)---------Little Egret (3)
Herring Gull(5)------------B H Gull (710)
Grey Wagtail--------------Teal (4)
Gadwall (3)----------------Lapwing (700)
Greylag Goose (15)

MOORS:
Dunlin (1)-----------------Oystercatcher (4)
Snipe (1)------------------Shelduck (10)
Pochard (23)--------------Gadwall (10) Possibly includes three from the Flashes.
Tufted Duck (25)----------Shoveler (4)
Cetti's Warbler (2)---------Teal (15)
Little Grebe (2)------------G C Grebe (3)
Siskin (3)------------------Redpoll (2)
Coal Tit (1)----------------Mute Swan (2)

SAILING POOL:
G C Grebe (4)-------------Tufted Duck (21)
Mute Swan (2)------------Kingfisher

Des.

I'm interested in some of the old reports and a car sticker if or when any left.

Only lived in the area fairly recently, so only just become a member. I understand the regulars will need to be first obviously.

Hi Phil,

I'll keep a car sticker for you Phil. Do you want one of all the reports that I have left after I've checked what is left?

Cheers
Mike

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Avocet (13)---------------Barn Owl @ 17.10 flew along the western boundary of the Flashes.
Curlew (19)---------------Snipe (1)
Oystercatcher (1)---------Little Egret (3)
Herring Gull(5)------------B H Gull (710)
Grey Wagtail--------------Teal (4)
Gadwall (3)----------------Lapwing (700)
Greylag Goose (15)

MOORS:
Dunlin (1)-----------------Oystercatcher (4)
Snipe (1)------------------Shelduck (10)
Pochard (23)--------------Gadwall (10) Possibly includes three from the Flashes.
Tufted Duck (25)----------Shoveler (4)
Cetti's Warbler (2)---------Teal (15)
Little Grebe (2)------------G C Grebe (3)
Siskin (3)------------------Redpoll (2)
Coal Tit (1)----------------Mute Swan (2)

SAILING POOL:
G C Grebe (4)-------------Tufted Duck (21)
Mute Swan (2)------------Kingfisher

Des.
In addition. I walked the public footpath along the R. Salwarp in the morning and admired the work of the JTB team: a Kingfisher was fishing over the newly cleared part. There were two pairs of Treecreeper: one back of Education Reserve the male singing, one parallel with the East Hide. Skylark was singing over Hobden Fields.(Another flew over the A38 Field later, calling.) A pair of Nuthatch were prospecting, half way along and adjacent to the field behind the East Hide. House Sparrow could be heard 'singing' from Stoke Prior. (A female was seen briefly on the feeders behind the Moors Farm Residences.) Goldcrest was singing way off the Reserve just before the bridge. Recorded 63 species on the day - no Jay, No GS Woodpecker!

Please find attached the next two annual reports to be made available:

1987 - year of the Rustic Bunting (cover illustration by Richard Harbird), Quail, the reserve's only Long-tailed Skua and the first Mediterranean Gull and Cetti's Warbler records.

1988 - year of the Least Sandpiper (cover illustration by Gordon Greaves' daughter) plus the reserve's first Spoonbill and Arctic Skua.

Just finished looking at the 1988 bird report I can't believe it's been 28 years since myself, Tim Hextell, Pete Hackett and Pete Forbes shot down to Upton from the Valley for the Least Sandpiper
Good Birding YAMYAM

In addition. I walked the public footpath along the R. Salwarp in the morning and admired the work of the JTB team: a Kingfisher was fishing over the newly cleared part. There were two pairs of Treecreeper: one back of Education Reserve the male singing, one parallel with the East Hide. Skylark was singing over Hobden Fields.(Another flew over the A38 Field later, calling.) A pair of Nuthatch were prospecting, half way along and adjacent to the field behind the East Hide. House Sparrow could be heard 'singing' from Stoke Prior. (A female was seen briefly on the feeders behind the Moors Farm Residences.) Goldcrest was singing way off the Reserve just before the bridge. Recorded 63 species on the day - no Jay, No GS Woodpecker!

Out of interest is the River Salworpe classed as part of the reserve for site list purposes?

If anyone could help with the boundaries that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Barn Owl

Whilst still relatively quite quiet currently, I spent a pleasant afternoon on the reserve yesterday. Observed and photographed Avocets mating which bodes well. Decided to stay on at the Flashes to try and see a Barn Owl in company with several other regulars. Anticipation was high based on recent sightings having been made earlier and earlier and a calculation that IF an owl appeared before 17.30 their may be enough light to get a record shot or two. An owl duly appeared at about 5ish but S**ds Law applied and it flew behind the hide. A sprint from one end of the hide to the other and a couple of very quickly taken shots resulted in the attached poor quality efforts. Apologies if I disturbed anybody else's enjoyment of the brief appearance.

Attachments

• UW Barn Owl Feb 2016 - U 043 (1024x683).jpg
    UW Barn Owl Feb 2016 - U 043 (1024x683).jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 131
  • UW Barn Owl Feb 2016 - U 042 (1024x682).jpg
    UW Barn Owl Feb 2016 - U 042 (1024x682).jpg
    272 KB · Views: 132
  • UW Barn Owl Feb 2016 - U 041 (1024x682).jpg
    UW Barn Owl Feb 2016 - U 041 (1024x682).jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 121
  • UW Barn Owl Feb 2016 - U 040 (1024x682).jpg
    UW Barn Owl Feb 2016 - U 040 (1024x682).jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 116
Whilst still relatively quite quiet currently, I spent a pleasant afternoon on the reserve yesterday. Observed and photographed Avocets mating which bodes well. Decided to stay on at the Flashes to try and see a Barn Owl in company with several other regulars. Anticipation was high based on recent sightings having been made earlier and earlier and a calculation that IF an owl appeared before 17.30 their may be enough light to get a record shot or two. An owl duly appeared at about 5ish but S**ds Law applied and it flew behind the hide. A sprint from one end of the hide to the other and a couple of very quickly taken shots resulted in the attached poor quality efforts. Apologies if I disturbed anybody else's enjoyment of the brief appearance.

Nice captures in difficult conditions Kim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back