• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of 8x25 Victory Pocket (3 Viewers)

Alan

I have mine now for about 2 months in use know and am very satisfied with them!
They astonish me every time I use them , they have great FOV and great contrast
Also at low light conditions they do a great job
Enjoy yours!

Hi Gunther

I have only used mine in rather open, well-lit habitats, and found them really excellent. Have you used them in woods or dense bushes? If so how did they work for you?

Lee

Just a quick follow up report. I have been using my Zeiss 8x25 for about three months now, and it has become my most used binocular. I have no binocular that performs better in terms of getting on target and seeing what there is to see under most daytime conditions. That performance includes excellent optical quality and outstanding handling characteristics. The only caveat is that phrase "most daytime conditions." As the available light decreases at dawn or dusk or in a sufficiently shaded thicket, of course I would prefer a larger high quality aperture. But if I want more aperture, I use 9x45. While it is possible that an 8x30 or 8x32 might best the Zeiss 8x25 under just the right low light conditions, I much prefer the little Zeiss to any of my 30/32mm binoculars.

A number of other factors have brought the Zeiss 8x25 Victory to the top of my most used list. I have been traveling much more than usual this summer, and I generally bring a more compact binocular when I travel (in the past it was the Maven B3 8x30). Also, I have the 8x25 with me most of the time in my backpack since it is compact and relatively light weight. One other factor is that I have begun to carry a compact zoom camera regularly, so I am mildly less likely to reach for my larger, heavier Maven 9x45 unless observing conditions demand it.

I wouldn't consider this a pocket pocket binocular if you are wearing a typical dress shirt or sport shirt or pants more tailored than cargo pants. But it is no problem in a jacket pocket, or baggy pants pocket, or even in a fishing or outdoors type shirt with gusset in the shirt pocket.

There is no perfect binocular, but for me this hits the mark by making many of the right decisions/compromises in designing and building a compact binocular.

Alan

Agreed on all counts based on my similar experiences this past spring and summer. I've used them for a lot of routine birding and butterflying, took them as my only bin for a month of travel, and am carrying them now at all times in hopes of happening across a new wood warbler species or other migrant for my county bird list on my daily walk to work/home.

For me, the only limitations are performance in very low light, the low weight (nice for travel, but I like the stabilizing heft of a larger bin when low weight isn't a concern. That said, these fit my hands so well that they are more stable than most other pocket roof bins), and the small eyepiece assemblies which make taking photos through them with my Sony RX100 iv more awkward than it is with larger bins such as my Zeiss 8x32 FL.

...I have only used mine in rather open, well-lit habitats, and found them really excellent. Have you used them in woods or dense bushes? If so how did they work for you?...

I find that they work very well in woods and brush. I suppose a _very dark_ forest might pose problems, but in my experience the most tricky aspect of forest lighting most of the time is viewing birds that are fully/partially silhouetted against a brighter canopy or patch of sky. For that, the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket perform _marvelously_. They really do well against the light, and they seem to do this in conjunction with eyeglasses better than should be possible for so small a bin.

I like the Zeiss 8x25 Victory so much, I will be retiring (at least de facto, if not formally :) my Zeiss 8x32 FL and Leica 8x20 Ultravid. I do like the absolutely flat field of the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV, which along with its larger exit pupils, facilitates comfortable roaming of one's vision around the FOV. Consequently, the 8.5x42 EL SV is still my favorite bin for birding and nature observation when carrying a larger and heavier bin than the 8x25 Victory is not a problem. Those two bins, plus the Pentax 6.5x21 Papilio II, are all I really need for field observation.

--AP

Last edited:
Hi Gunther

I have only used mine in rather open, well-lit habitats, and found them really excellent. Have you used them in woods or dense bushes? If so how did they work for you?

Lee

Lee

Still using them quite often , especially in open marsh land.
No experience yet in darker woodland , but more evening sunset open water
These bins keep on astonishing me even in darker circumstances

Gunther

AP,

In addition to the other factors I've mentioned, I'm certain that I'm also motivated by some combination of new toy infatuation, and shock that the small aperture can keep up.

Today I was out for several hours birding with the Maven 9x45. I can hold it steadier even at 9x; the larger exit pupils and eyecups are nicer; I like the mechanics and ergonomics; and while the larger aperture was not a significant factor this morning, in principle under tougher conditions ... . However, there are two areas where the smaller Zeiss may have the advantage. First, I am definitely quicker on target and in focus with the Zeiss both for birds in flight and at close quarters within a tree or shrubs.

The second area is more subtle, but I saw that you mentioned it in your response to Lee. In situations with strong back lighting, for instance, within a canopy looking up against a bright sky, the Zeiss seems better. This surprises me because the Maven is very good at controlling glare from bright sources outside the field of view as judged at night. Perhaps it just seems more contrasty because the smaller aperture darkens the shadows. Do you have any thoughts on what is going on here?

Thanks,
Alan

I'm finding conflicting info on Google for the full dimension comparison between the 8x20 and the 8x25 for both folded and unfolded states.
Zeiss website is lacking in info.

I'm finding conflicting info on Google for the full dimension comparison between the 8x20 and the 8x25 for both folded and unfolded states.
Zeiss website is lacking in info.

Presume by 8x20 you mean the old discontinued Victory Compact.

I have been through several Zeiss catalogues going back quite a few years and Zeiss don't appear to have ever published any 'folded' dimensions for either the above or the new Victory Pockets, only the heights (or lengths).

Lee

Here are my two examples -

Zeiss Victory Compact 8x20
Folded - 93 x 77 x 44 mm (height x max width x max depth)
Open (65 mm IPD) - 93 x 99 x 44 mm

Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25
Folded - 111 x 79 x 47 mm
Open (65 mm IPD) - 111 x 102 x 45 mm

Hope this helps.

John

I recently got a pair of these after a very brief trial of the Ultravid 8x20.
Looking for something compact in order to have a pair of binoculars handy more frequently was the aim but going slightly bigger was well worth the trade off.
The Zeiss are an amazing little pair of binoculars with an easy and high quality view but it's the handling that's just as striking. The ergonomics are excellent, I can't imagine any compact handling remotely as well as these. I'm right handed but I use my left to focus with these while the right hand sits perfectly with two fingers on the bridge and two wrapped around the barrel at the front.
Adjusting the IPD as you go is smooth and easy and generally they are a joy to use.
While they won't replace an 8x42 it's quite impressive as to how close they could. While I use mine for general viewing, I do bird with them and had a great view observing a pair of channel billed cuckoos eating figs in a park today.
I'm really impressed by these.

Last edited:
Thanks very much John, and F88.

I haven't read much past the initial review but I'm assuming you have your eye on these?
I tossed up between these and the Swarovski 8x25, I'm so glad I went the Zeiss. While I haven't looked through the Swarovski, I'm sure they have an excellent view also but I can't imagine them handling like the Zeiss plus the ease and quality of view are excellent.
Regarding the strap, I modified mine to attach it to some of those little optech clips as someone (John Frink) posted here somewhere. Worth doing in my opinion.

Last edited:
I haven't read much past the initial review but I'm assuming you have your eye on these?
I tossed up between these and the Swarovski 8x25, I'm so glad I went the Zeiss. While I haven't looked through the Swarovski, I'm sure they have an excellent view also but I can't imagine them handling like the Zeiss plus the ease and quality of view are excellent.
Regarding the strap, I modified mine to attach it to some of those little optech clips as someone (John Frink) posted here somewhere. Worth doing in my opinion.

F88, You made the best choice between the three. I own and enjoy using the Zeiss Victory 8x25, the Swarovski 8x25 and the Leica Ultravid 8x20 - all three are excellent. But in my experience the Zeiss is the undefeated undisputed all around champion of compact binoculars for the reasons you cite. The Swarovski does have a very slightly sharper image to my eyes but the much wider field of view and superb ergonomics of the Zeiss more than compensate. The Zeiss is a true game changer in compacts.

F88, You made the best choice between the three. I own and enjoy using the Zeiss Victory 8x25, the Swarovski 8x25 and the Leica Ultravid 8x20 - all three are excellent. But in my experience the Zeiss is the undefeated undisputed all around champion of compact binoculars for the reasons you cite. The Swarovski does have a very slightly sharper image to my eyes but the much wider field of view and superb ergonomics of the Zeiss more than compensate. The Zeiss is a true game changer in compacts.

I think you're right.
The only minor flaw in my sample is that the focus and diopter knobs are slightly skewed on their axis. You'd never know in use, I went over it with a fine toothed comb the other day. It's really not a big deal but at the price point Zeiss shouldn't allow this. On that note the strap attachments are terrible, much better since I attached the optech attachments.
The Ultravid were too much of a compromise for the size and while the CL Pocket would be great the handling, ease and quality of view are as you said a game changer.
I'm actually thinking about dropping my 32s, which are an EDG so that says a lot, and going with the 8x25 and a 7 or 8x42.
No these aren't on 8x32 EDG level but they are really good and a compact plus decent size combo is making more sense now.

Beware

I thought I should post a warning. My Victory 8x25 has proved to be more costly than I expected. I was so pleased with the 8x25 that I decided to "try out" a Victory SF 8x42, and now I seem unable to return it.

Alan

I thought I should post a warning. My Victory 8x25 has proved to be more costly than I expected. I was so pleased with the 8x25 that I decided to "try out" a Victory SF 8x42, and now I seem unable to return it.

Alan

Alan: A warning advice is not needed. Even though there are lots of raving
likes about the new Zeiss 8x25, most know that little thing would not compare to the likes of a larger binocular.
The Zeiss SF is a lot better in so many ways. :-O

Jerry

Jerry: You are so right. My warning was joking along the lines of a gateway drug or my slippery slope with Zeiss. I wasn't comparing the 8x25 with the larger Zeiss binocular, but rather saying that I was sufficiently impressed with the 8x25 that I seriously considered for the first time investing in a full sized Zeiss binocular. As I chronicled here, I evaluated the Zeiss SF 8x42 against my Maven B2 9x45.

Alan

Alan: A warning advice is not needed. Even though there are lots of raving
likes about the new Zeiss 8x25, most know that little thing would not compare to the likes of a larger binocular.
The Zeiss SF is a lot better in so many ways. :-O

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

You may be surprised?

I'm a big fan of mine and it's quite impressive how they compare with much larger binoculars as it's likely less difference than the size would imply?

While I don't require glasses, not as of yet anyway and my eyes are relatively young, this may make a reasonable difference to the ability of a great view with these 8x25s?

I've done a bit of comparison, albeit confined to my backyard, to top notch 8x32, 8x42 (roofs) and 7x50 (porro) and they really do impress.

I myself didn't expect such a small pair to provide such ease and quality of view.

Alan

I can relate to this...a few years ago after a lot of research I went for a new pair of 8x42s (I was using an entry level pair from when I started birdwatching). I was at the shop ready to buy my choosen unit and compared it vs the alphas just to see how it featured against.

I liked the Leica and Swarovsky, but the price difference didnt justify it. And I was just blown away by the SF 8x42...in particular the FOV. So I left the shop, saved a bit more and came back to get it.

The issue was that my 8x25 compact (the one I carry with me at all times) became too sub par, so I ended up getting the 8x25 about 1/1.5 years ago. Very happy with both!

Can anyone recommend an off the shelf case for these binoculars? I've seen references to other cases - like the Nikon - that folks use, but these aren't generally available on their own. I'm struggling with the size of the supplied case, and the annoying flap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back