• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ruddy Duck? with two tone beak?? (2 Viewers)

Dave G

I wonder if anyone could help me ID a Duck seen almost at dusk today, acting very much like a grebe but with the markings of a Ruddy Duck (black head,white patch under eye, dark brown back). It had a white section on the beak which continued into the white breast. The tip of the beak was black (dark brown?) for about 30-40% of its length and had no white rump. This was seen near the Cliffe RSPB lakes and ideas would be usefull as I can't find any ID for this.

Thanks in advance

Dave G.

Hi Tony and Darrell,
I'm pretty certain that it isn't a mallard cross (after looking at more Ruddy duck pictures I didn't see that long tail) and after downloading the Redhead Smew movie from the Hertfordshire club I must say that is pretty close.......but I can't get that two tone beak out of my mind. I will have another check tomorrow.
I'm only using bins so a bit more light may help but that Redhead Smew is pretty close. I cant find any info on it at the moment does anyone know if it is the same size as a normal Smew? etc. etc.

Thanks for the help guys, if it is this, its a first for me :t:

B :)

Dave G.

Hi Dave,

'Redhead' is the name given to a female or 1st year drake Smew. They are exactly the same size as adult Smew, which is to say - about Ruddy Duck size;)

Hi Darrell,
Had a look at Bridguides online and male seems to have a white part to beak?
I was looking down at the bird from approx.60-80 feet up (chalk pit) so unable to see lower white parts.
I will still try to confirm for my own peace of mind if nothing else.

Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back