• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping backpacks (1 Viewer)

I am looking for a good backpack that will hold a spotting scope and DSLR camera equipment plus tripod. Something in the general nature of the Nikon recon field pack - which I am unsure will handle a DSLR. Any suggestions???

I am looking for a good backpack that will hold a spotting scope and DSLR camera equipment plus tripod. Something in the general nature of the Nikon recon field pack - which I am unsure will handle a DSLR. Any suggestions???

I suggest you look at the Tamrac Expedition line.
http://tamrac.com/frame_exp.htm

I have the big one - the Expedition 8. It is tall enough for my astro scope which is much bigger than a spotting scope. I also have room for 2 DLSR bodies, a Canon 100-400 lens, 2 other lenses, 2 teleconverters, spacers and barlow for the scope, flash, better beamer, batteries, memory cards and lots of accessories. My big tripod goes on the back of the pack. When fully packed, it weights 25 kg.

If you don't need that much, you can choose a smaller model.

I started by buying a LowePro backpack but returned it - it is not a bad product but I didn't like it. This Tamrac is very well made and suits my purpose perfectly.

I also have the Tamarc Expedition 8 and it is a terrific pack with good back support and excellent waist belt. Be ready for the weight.
Greg

Thanks, I had looked at the Adventure Series - and it probably is the way to go. Maybe the 90 minutes I spend at the gym most mornings will pay off in carrying it with my gear.

Brad

digiscoping Backpacks

I would like to say thanks for the recommendations. I purchased an Adventure 8 after the post and have been very pleased with the pack. It is very large but carries much lighter than it looks. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back