• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Help (1 Viewer)

Jim

Need some with an ID on these. They are the about the same size and shape as a Canada Goose but with different markings.

My Audobon book wasn't any help

Thanks

Attachments

• 2geese.jpg
    2geese.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 522
They look as though they could be Canada Goose x Barnacle Goose hybrids - anyone else agree ?

Tony

I would agree with TOny. They appear to be hybrids, certainly not a North American Goose. His explanation is better than anything I can think of.

It was the white on the face that made me think of Barnacle. Don't know if 'black' & 'grey' geese hybridise together.

Tony

'Black' and 'Grey' geese do hybridise but in this case I would think that, as with the concensus, they are Canada/Barnacle hybrids.

Eddie

I think that they're probably Canada X Farmyard Greylag. They do hybridise and it would explain why the large amount of white on the head. The black neck, head shape, and back/flank colour are right for Canada, whereas the neck markings and the upturned tail indicate a Greylag parentage.

Another thing problematic with this bird being a canXbarn is that there are no breeding populations of wild Barnacle Goose in the US. They are also rarely encountered as captive birds.

I vote Canada X "farm goose"

I doubt it was a pure Can X Graylag because then it would show slightly mottled bill, white flank line, etc.

~GECSOS

The hybrids of Canada/Greylag that I have seen in the UK produce something like a Canada but with the white bits, such as the chin strap, being a dusky buffy brown and thus the nice crisp black and white contrast is not there. However I don't know if the male and female differences, i.e. male Canada and female Greylag or male Greylag and female Canada, produce differing hybrid pattern markings. So in summary, I am not much help, but there is something else to think about. One thing is certain, I believe that they are truly hybrids!

Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back