• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Its all speculation! Post what you want. It is getting boring and until someone gets there hands on an actual sample and post something relevant that has meaning to the rest of us, well let it go.

I'm not talking about using one while at a birdfair.

I want to see actual samples that are made ready for the public to purchase!

Is that to much to ask?

Bryce...

It is strange when some of my extraordinarily profound statements garner little or no attention, and yet this new flash in the pan binocular from such a questionable source gets all of these posts.:king::-O

Its all speculation! Post what you want. It is getting boring and until someone gets there hands on an actual sample and post something relevant that has meaning to the rest of us, well let it go.

I'm not talking about using one while at a birdfair.

I want to see actual samples that are made ready for the public to purchase!

Is that to much to ask?

Bryce...

Alex post 1220,
When I wrote "inspired by"I did not mean that the SF was a sort of copy of the Dialyt 6x42B, since that is in my view unlikely.
The Dialyt has Abbe-König prisms whereas the SF has Schmidt-Pechan prisms. Moreover the balance of the Dialyt is more to the centre of the binocular due to its obviously different eyepiece design, whereas the SF has a wide angle eyepiece may be (but Bryce you do not have to read this since you do not like speculations) a modified Abbe eyepiece or a modified König eyepiece or even a sort of Erfle eyepiece, we do not know until we see a cutaway of the SF.
Why I posted my "fairy tale"is the following. In the heart of the Zeiss team some persons work already a long time there and they know everything about the design and plusses and minusses of previous models. Persons like dr. Walter Schwab and certainly mr. Volker Claudi, produkt manager for a long time, who knows every model from the past 30 years and the discussions around optical and technical choices and the discussions about the color of the body armor (Bryce, I know fully unimportant for actual use, but for the looks of the instrumen and the attreaction for the eye so nice or so bad dependent on your taste), so it is not so bold to phantasize that in one way or another the Dialyt 6x42 may have played a role in the heads of the designers. If you do not like my phantasies Bryce, do not read them and wait for the actual instruments to come, I am just as curious as you are probably, allthough I have some idea already from the samples I had in my hands during an exhibition of the new SF's.
Gijs

Dear all,
In the Zeiss flyers of that period the FOV of the Dialyt 6x42B is given as 148m/1000m. We measured it over and over using a Möller FOV meter and we could not confirm the 148m/1000m, in all our measurements we found an FOV of around 160m/1000m.
Gijs

Could it be that the flyers just picked up the number from the old 7x42 Classic Dialyt?
If memory serves, that was listed as sporting a 150m FoV, which may have been a rounding from 148m.
My old 6x24 Leica Amplivid had a 212m FoV (admittedly with eye relief that was maybe a centimeter), so 160m does not seem ambitious for a 6x42.

Could it be that the flyers just picked up the number from the old 7x42 Classic Dialyt?
If memory serves, that was listed as sporting a 150m FoV, which may have been a rounding from 148m.
My old 6x24 Leica Amplivid had a 212m FoV (admittedly with eye relief that was maybe a centimeter), so 160m does not seem ambitious for a 6x42.

You may be interested to know that Allbinos has just added a new
series of articles, under "Legendary binoculars" and your Leica 6x24 Amplivid is first one chosen.

I found the article very interesting, you have quite a binocular there.

Jerry

Last edited:

150m FOV has traditionally been the field of view of the "classic" Zeiss West 8x30 porros with Erfle eyepieces. In fact, the Deltrentis 8x30 (first made in 1920, developed in 1918) had a field of view of 154m.

Hermann

Last edited:
You may be interested to know that Allbinos has just added a new
series of articles, under "Legendary binoculars" and your Leica 6x24 Amplivid is first one chosen.

I found the article very interesting, you have quite a binocular there.

Jerry

Unfortunately, the operative word is 'had' rather than 'have'.
The eye relief was too little for me, as I refuse to wear contacts, so it got sold, for about $250 if memory serves.
I should have put it into my safety deposit box instead, as a portfolio diversification.

150m FOV has traditionally been the field of view of the "classic" Zeiss West 8x30 porros with Erfle eyepieces. In fact, the Deltrentis 8x30 (first made in 1920, developed in 1918) had a field of view of 154m.

Hermann
I wish more makers cared about FOV or more specific to my interests AFOV. There's nothing like pulling a a fresh pair of bins only to find out the circle is gigantic.

I never understood why so many alpha 8x42's offer a 330ft view while the Little 8x32's have a 420 foot. People mocked the Conquest 360 foot "keyhole" and never a word said abut the better made 330ft FOV on their alpha.

THE SOF is going in a a great direction with this that will hopefully be imitated. Just like iMax is the standard for movie greatness lets hope wide APOV becomes standard in the bag of tricks of the big 4.

I agree... Nice to have a large FOV.....Without distortion preferably, otherwise,, whats the point??

When I spoke to Dr Dobbler at Birdfair, we discussed a future 8x32 SF with a fov of over 150m and a 10x32 of 130m plus....

Cheers Tim

I agree... Nice to have a large FOV.....Without distortion preferably, otherwise,, whats the point??

When I spoke to Dr Dobbler at Birdfair, we discussed a future 8x32 SF with a fov of over 150m and a 10x32 of 130m plus....

Cheers Tim

If they come to pass I wonder what they will cost?:eek!:

I just remembered the problem of keeping long eye relief on them too.

Bob

Last edited:
I wish more makers cared about FOV or more specific to my interests AFOV. There's nothing like pulling a a fresh pair of bins only to find out the circle is gigantic.

I never understood why so many alpha 8x42's offer a 330ft view while the Little 8x32's have a 420 foot. People mocked the Conquest 360 foot "keyhole" and never a word said abut the better made 330ft FOV on their alpha.

THE SOF is going in a a great direction with this that will hopefully be imitated. Just like iMax is the standard for movie greatness lets hope wide APOV becomes standard in the bag of tricks of the big 4.

What alpha 8x42's have a 330 ft FOV? Most are between 400 and 420 ft.

Yes, In my conversation, I asked if there would be a 32mm SF version with a greater fov than 150m plus for the 8x and 130m for the 10x. He confirmed this....

There was no time frame attached to these models release though sadly. But I think it would be a fair guess thats its goin be 2016 or
sooner.

Cheers Tim

Does "discuss" mean, Mr. Dobler confirmed that they will make such binoculars?
If yes, I have to start saving B :)

Hello Dalat,

Moi, aussi.
As the terms of use frown of foreign languages, that means, "Me, too."

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Cheers Tim

Hi Tim,

I suppose what you mean here is high edge-sharpness. Distortion would refer to pincushion, yes or no, and the Zeiss SF design strategy seems to include a certain amount of pincushion distortion for smooth panning.

Cheers,
Holger

Holger...

I didn't notice pincushion in the SF.. Just a drop in resolution, Ie Absam ring....

To be honest, I'd prefer pincushion and high resolution, Instead of a flat field with Absam ring...

Cheers Tim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back