• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor Tunisia (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Photo taken by Hamadi Asfour (shared with permission) in Tunisia in spring. What do you guys think ?

Thanks

Attachments

• rapacesTunisie.jpg
    rapacesTunisie.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 307
Dark Booted?

My first impression too. But I'm disturbed by the lack of white spots on leading edge and, I guess more important, lack of contrast in flght feathers that are supposed to show paler inner primaries. Therefore, I wish to have confirmation.

I think the majority of dark or rufous phase birds show the "landing lights" Andy. Certainly when out in Goa at the same time as you, we saw several at Chapora that all had them when they turned head on.

I think the majority of dark or rufous phase birds show the "landing lights" Andy. Certainly when out in Goa at the same time as you, we saw several at Chapora that all had them when they turned head on.

18 years ago......!!!!!

Just checking Ferguson-Lees and yes, 'landing lights' should be shown on dark birds.

Last edited:
Andy, your reply in # 2 is as close to identifying the bird as possible. Apart from a clearer view of the l.l.s everything else adds up to Booted for me. I can't see LSE in this bird on just the one image.

Even considering me not feeling quite well;), I don't agree here.

I see a large bird with longer wings and deeper cut "fingers" than, say, Buzzard or Booted Eagle.

The broad, prominent, black terminal band on the tail is not a trait for dark Booted Eagle on which I'd expect white "position-lights", and a slightly paler wedge at the junction between secondaries and primaries on the underwing.

Heavy bill (and feet!), and far too long and prominent yellow gape for said smaller species.

In sum a cautious (hangover3:)) suggestion would be an adult of the resident, dark, North African subspecies of Golden Eagle.

Peter

Last edited:
Even considering me not feeling quite well;), I don't agree here.

I see a very large bird with longer wings and deeper cut "fingers" than, say, Buzzard or Booted Eagle.

The broad, prominent, black terminal band on the tail is not a trait for dark Booted Eagle on which I'd expect white "position-lights", and a slightly paler wedge at the junction between secondaries and primaries on the underwing.

Heavy bill (and feet!), and far too long and prominent yellow gape for said smaller species.

In sum a cautious (hangover3:)) suggestion would be an adult of the resident, dark, North African subspecies of Golden Eagle.

Peter

Dark tail band on this one...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YkFIvO1Vf...IVvvwZc/s1600/Booted-Eagle-dark-form_1528.jpg

It does not show any obvious (it is barely visible) barring in the primaries and secondaries and seems almost too dark for a dark morph booted eagle and the inner primaries does not seem notably paler than the rest of the primaries or in strong contrast to the secondaries, I agree with P.Sunesen on his points about the bird, though I think it also seems too small for a Golden Eagle. But it is hard to say from a single pic

this is not an easy picture (almost all details lacking and lots of artefacts)
just blow up the pic on your screen and you will see that the gape line is exactly one (1) pixel broad with adjacant upper and lower pixels jpeg artefacts, the 'bill' is mostly made of 4 overexposed white pixels (light reflections on the cere)
more pics may prove me wrong but I am missing the bulge of secondaries of Golden Eagle and the square cut tail with narrow subterminal bar (much narrower than I would expect in Golden Eagle) just fits better Booted
Not 100 % sure though and Peter normally gets it right (at least when he is not in an hangover ;-)

Happy New Year everybody, looking forward for interesting discussions in 2019

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back