• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon A570 IS digiscoping setting (1 Viewer)

barontan2418

United Kingdom
Would be grateful for any tried and tested digiscoping setting to start me off with the above camera. I've had some experience with the Nikon 4500 but would appreciate some help with the A570 .

Here are my settings for digiscoping with my Canon A640. Most or all should work with your A570.

Auto Focus on.
Spot focus selected.
Macro mode selected.
Spot metering selected if subject lighting obviously different than surrounding area.
Try not to use too much zoom.

Macro distance setting is of no importance. Just focus your scope as best as you can.
Use a shutter release cable if possible.(see my reply to the thread entitled "Help w/A95 vortex skyline combo" on this forum). In it you will see my home made shutter release cable bracket.

I have the A570, and was surprised to read this recommendation to use macro mode focusing. I never do this, so tried it. I attach the following two photos taken with my A570. The first photo shows the results obtained using autofocus. The second photo is done in macro mode.

Clearly, the macro setting did not work for this setup. Sometimes I find it useful to use Manual focus, as autofocus does not always lock on.

Both were taken at max zoom and widest aperture (140mm, f5.5), 10-second delay timer, on Pentax PF65A scope, Pentax XW14 eyepiece, focused on the original post as displayed on my Apple Cinema Display at a distance of about 35 feet. These results are straight from iPhoto with no sharpening.

The nice thing about the A570 is the custom timer. I set mine for 3-second delay, 2-exposures.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
I have the A570, and was surprised to read this recommendation to use macro mode focusing. I never do this, so tried it. I attach the following two photos taken with my A570. The first photo shows the results obtained using autofocus. The second photo is done in macro mode.

Clearly, the macro setting did not work for this setup. Sometimes I find it useful to use Manual focus, as autofocus does not always lock on.

It's not likely that Macro will work at full zoom. I find generally that it works well from wide to half zoom (on my 8400 it's wide to 35 % zoom ) and then I would switch it off. Even below half zoom you often would have to re-focus the scope after switching on Macro. If you watch the screen closely you will see the screen go out of focus when you switch it on. Also at full zoom there may not be enough contrast (low light levels) for AF to be reliable. I often use Manual focus over 2/3rds zoom and always at full zoom.
Neil.

It's not likely that Macro will work at full zoom. I find generally that it works well from wide to half zoom (on my 8400 it's wide to 35 % zoom ) and then I would switch it off. Even below half zoom you often would have to re-focus the scope after switching on Macro. If you watch the screen closely you will see the screen go out of focus when you switch it on. Also at full zoom there may not be enough contrast (low light levels) for AF to be reliable. I often use Manual focus over 2/3rds zoom and always at full zoom.
Neil.

Neil,

Yes, soon after my post I realized my comparison photos were misleading (or wrong). Macro mode on the A570 is intended to be used at the wide end of the zoom range.

I appreciate your comment about using Manual focus at full zoom. Now I understand why autofocus often fails there.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back