• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on wildlife/ birding locations in north-east England ? (1 Viewer)

Magpie70

Hi, I'm wanting some advice on good wildlife photography locations in the north-east, other than:

St. Mary's lighthouse; Druridge; Chevington; Cresswell; Linton; Big waters; Kielder; Derwent; Upper teasdale;

I'm primarily a wildlife photographer who is developing a increasing interest in birding, although I can't really be classed as a twitcher. I still need to photograph more common birds before I start travelling elsewhere.
I know my list above are all excellent locations I was just wondering if someone can recommend any additional sites that I can visit so that I don't get too bored.
Any advice would be very welcome and thanks in advance,
Mark.

Hi Mark

Have you checked out the Northumberland thread? Lots of inspiration for where to go on there and folks are really friendly and will, I'm sure, help you out as regards the best sites to go to for certain species :t:

All good spots that you've listed but how about Holy Island? Fabulous place that I never tire of and loads of super birds at all times of the year :t:
Inland we have the Cheviots, Ingram Valley ( good for Common Sandpiper, Stonechat,Dippers, Wagtails etc) and Harthope Valley just outside Wooler which is great for Ring Ouzel, Red Grouse, various warblers, Green Woodpecker, Ravens etc.

Where To Watch Birds in North-East England by Dave Britton & John Day is also an indispensible book to give you ideas for good sites and where/when to see most species.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-Watch-Birds-Northeast-England/dp/0713668261

Black grouse

Am visiting Northumberland for first time in June. Any advice on anylikely locations for catching a glimpse of Black Grouse
Cheers

Hi, I'm wanting some advice on good wildlife photography locations in the north-east, other than:

St. Mary's lighthouse; Druridge; Chevington; Cresswell; Linton; Big waters; Kielder; Derwent; Upper teasdale;

I'm primarily a wildlife photographer who is developing a increasing interest in birding, although I can't really be classed as a twitcher. I still need to photograph more common birds before I start travelling elsewhere.
I know my list above are all excellent locations I was just wondering if someone can recommend any additional sites that I can visit so that I don't get too bored.
Any advice would be very welcome and thanks in advance,
Mark.

Mark, one or two you could try listed below. Also check out the blog below for regular updates.

1. Castle Island/River Wansbeck, can be good for ducks, waders and terns.
2. Mitford Castle/Wansbeck, Dipper, Kingfisher, Jay, Woodpeckers, Marsh Tit, Grey Wagtail, Warblers.
3. Boulmer beach/Steel for waders.
4. Coanwood Pond/Lanehead area for raptors, Black Grouse etc.

Best of luck

As Alan said, the southwest of the county is the stronghold, although the Cheviot valleys have their fair share as well (College Valley and Harthope Valley both very good, I've never found any in the Breamish Valley). Check fields adjacent to heather/bracken moorland (although I've found them in the middle of heather moor on a few occasions as well).

cheers
martin

Am visiting Northumberland for first time in June. Any advice on anylikely locations for catching a glimpse of Black Grouse
Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back