• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gannet? (1 Viewer)

MIJMOTH

Today, off the beach at Slapton (Devon) I saw a sea bird. It was circling and diving into the water. It was white and the wing tips on both upper and lower surfaces were black. The wings were relatively narrow. The shape reminded me of a Cormorant.
Was not close enough to notice any other features.
Could it have been a Gannet?
Thank you

Jim

Thank you,
We do not get many in the West Midlands, so hard to be certain. However my bird book does not seem to suggest they are in the area at this time. But that does not mean a great deal.
It was a single bird and from a distance seems very graceful but dived impressively.

Thank you,
We do not get many in the West Midlands, so hard to be certain. However my bird book does not seem to suggest they are in the area at this time. But that does not mean a great deal.
It was a single bird and from a distance seems very graceful but dived impressively.

Gannets are rare away from the coast, but sometimes get swept inland during bad weather.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back