• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a quality porro (1 Viewer)

Flumpy

Hi,

I like the idea of getting a high end porro. From my research I'm thinking nikon probably make the best available. I want 10 x magnification, the 10 x 35 EII would fit my needs. Are they still available to buy new? On ebay I see that they can be sourced from Japan, but I'm a little concerned that they may be fakes or some kind of scam? I thought about swaros but I think the nikons are superior? Should I be considering any other brands? Thanks in advance!

I have two Nikon EII's (and yes, you can get them new from Japan) and although I think they are wonderful binoculars, I would have to say that if you are wanting the best 10x42, then you should be looking at the Swarovski porro. IMO our Habicht porros are better than the EII's. Not by much, and perhaps not better enough to justify the extra cost. But the Swarovski is better.

High end porro? Nikon EII? I'd say you're on the right path.
I'd give the Swaros a try if you can get the chance.

I've bought an EII from Japan w/o an issue. Good transaction.

Thanks for all the feedback. After reading the reviews on 'allbinos' I was convinced that the nikons were the ones to go for. It's interesting to read that there's a lot of 'love' for the habicht as well. Especially as this post is on the nikon sub forum! As it is dificult to try in advance, I live in Spain, I think I will have to 'flip a coin'. Difficult decision!

A good classic porro is still wonderful to own and use, but ... I strongly recommend you try before you buy. I couldn't see the entire field of view of the 8x30 EII with my glasses (spectacles), and it didn't focus enough beyond infinity to use it without glasses. The 10x35 model may have more dioptric compensation, and/or you may not require glasses anyway, but I would still recommend looking through one yourself before shelling out what is likely to be a fair amount of dosh. NB. I also found the 8x30 EII somewhat disappointingly dark (which, in all fairness, may be attributable to having looked through things like 8x56s a little earlier - but the Habicht was noticeably brighter), although some recent reports indicate light transmission may have improved.

Hi,

high-end 10x porro - the answer is easy to give but not easy to implement... a Nikon SE 10x42 - certainly not available new, be it from Japan or elsewhere.

But it still gives stunning views which rival the best - unless it's raining and you don't take it out...

A pair of E2 10x35 is good too, if you don't wear glasses with bins, but certainly not a rival for todays alphas in most categories. I'm not a big fan of Habichts, but the 10x40 seems to be the least flawed - but still very poor eye relief, fov not really great, sweet spot small and a very stiff focus. Waterproof, very bright and very sharp on axis on the plus side...

Joachim

I found the close-up view of the EII unsettling and returned them.

FWIW, the Canon IS binoculars are also porros.

For a parallel discussion on this recurrent theme - specifically re the Nikon choices - see the current thread on Cloudy Nights, especially the usual thoughtful comments of Arthur:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/650175-nikon-8x30ii-vs-nikon-8x30-se/

John

Addendum: At the end of Arthur's post he refers to a 2003 review by Kimmo Absetz. The link no longer works. However, the article can be accessed by following the link in this post:
https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3816800&postcount=20

Last edited:
Thanks for the links, especially the first one.
Great review.

I see the position is given to an accuracy of 4 inches. At least west and east.
Is that for the front of the binocular or the back :) :)

Sorry for that, I couldn't resist.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back