• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Denali question (1 Viewer)

LindaW

First I'd like to say HI to everyone, I've been lurking around enjoying all your advice for quite awhile!

Here's my sad saga. I had been in the maket for a pair of binoculars, trouble was finding a store that I could actually see a variety of models. The first pair I purchased was the Nikon Action 8x40 (was the only Nikon model), I had major problems with the eye relief being a glasses wearer, returned them.

Found the Eagle brand which was recommended for the longer eye relief. The store was out of stock on the Ranger models and only had the Denali's. Off I went a happy camper with the 8x42's until..... When I got home and was checking them out in the bright light I noticed problems with vignetting, as areas of the view would become black, either blinking or repositioning the binoculars seemed to help but it was always there. Then as I was focusing I noticed a sudden looseness and when I turned the focus wheel the wheel turned but no longer changed the focus. Seems like the wheel came unscrewed too far, tried tightening it back but no luck.

Is this indicitive of this binocular? The vignetting and the mechanical problem? Also, the merchant said they would give me a ring when the Ranger's came in and I could come in and take a look, if I liked those better I could exchange the Denali's for those. Would that be a better option? My price range is around $300, but I'm hesitant to order online without actually looking thru the glasses. I do not know a whole lot about other brands out there as the local selection is limited and so is my knowledge. Thank you in advance for you advice!

Your experience with the Denalis does not surprise me. I ordered a pair last year when they were one of the first of the phase coated roofs offered under $200. Their optical quality was quite poor in my opinion but, admittedly, I did not have any issues with their build. The EO RPC or new SRTs are definitely a step up from the Denalis both in terms of build and optical performance. I would highly recommend you return the Denalis and get one of the other two models in question.

There are, ofcourse, a variety of other models at the $300 price point and under that you may consider. I do not know if the merchant in question carries the Nikon Monarchs or Bushnell legends but both models offer very good image quality with very good build quality at the $300 price point. They are both entirely comparable to the EO models mentioned.

Thanks for the reply Frank. Today I swaped the Denali's for another pair, same kind. I really wanted to give these a try until the Rangers come in on Monday or Tuesday. Besides we had an ice storm and the trees and birds are beautiful... had to have something to play with! The EO RPC and SRT's you mention are those the Ranger Plantinums? I do have to say that these are much much sharper than the Nikon Action 8x40, but I really have nothing better to compare them too. The wild bird store only carries the Eagle Optics, while the store I got the Nikon's at was geared more for hunting and had the Bushnell Power View 10x42 which on the 10's I had problems holding them steady, I think they had the 6x Travelites. They didn't have any of the newer Nikon models. I'll give these a go over the weekend and wait for the Rangers to come in. I'm scared to look thru those Lecia's I've heard about for fear of getting spoiled and not liking anything after that!!

Many Wild Birds stores carry the EO bins, but most are the SRT series now. I never found the 42mm to look at so far. I have the 32mm, and mechanically they have been sound. I would have asked a tiny bit more from the optics, a bigger sweet spot. But they are not poor.

The EO RPC stands for Ranger Platinum class and are the same bins you are referencing. The SRTs are the newer EO versions that replaced the Rangers.

Have a good weekend birding. We have much the same weather here in Eastern PA.

Hi Linda!
Last year I spent about 3 months on deciding on binoculars. Some I looked through included the Eagle Optics Denali, the Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class (RPC) and the Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class SRT. I must say, the Platinum Class was much better than the Denali, even with the smaller objective lens - 32 versus 42.

My brother has a Nikon Sporter, another roof prism in the $150 price point, and it was much better than the Denali. If you look around and still find some as they have been discontinued, but get 8X not 10X. If you are OK with porro design, search these threads for the Leupold Yosemite 6X30, which get great reviews for about $100-$125.00. (But I don't remember the eye relief for either of these which may be important if you wear glasses.)

The Platinum Class SRT replaced the Platinum Class (non-SRT), but I found the non-SRT perfectly acceptable, especially for the clearance price I got it for. A roof binocular that consistently gets great reviews at the $300 price point is the Nikon Monarch - you may want to try those if that is your budget.

As far as ordering online, I can understand your apprehension. I recommend that you try a well established, well regarded site, such as eagleoptics.com. You generally will get better prices, and MUCH better selection. I live in Los Angeles, and here it is very difficult (impossible?) to find good optics shops here. They will also let you return it in exchange for a different brand/model if you prefer. I ordered from them several times, and have been very pleased at their customer service, as have others on this forum.

Oh, also, if you got the Denali at a Wild Birds store, ask them if they have the Platinum Class (non-SRT) on clearance.

Good Luck

Common Raven said:
I live in Los Angeles, and here it is very difficult (impossible?) to find good optics shops here.
Where have you gone? Scope City has a good selection of top-brand binoculars. They have stores in Simi Valley, Sherman Oaks and Costa Mesa.

Update! Thanks Raven for the helpful advice, I couldn't find a local retailer who carried the Nikon's so was unable to check those out. I called the store today and as they promised their shipment had just come in, so off I went to try out the Rangers. They only had the SRT's. Let me say that in looking thru them there, up and down the street at various signs the difference was night and day. The Rangers do have a 3 position locking eye cup that I like better than the one position only Denali's. Seems odd but even with glasses I get less black edges with they eye cups pulled out. By the time I got home it was getting dark so no time to really play with them. Did anyone else notice on the Denali's that focus was good when objects were in close but the mid range was fuzzy? Seemed like I was always trying to focus sharper but never could. I have to say I'm more used to looking through a camera lens, where the image just snaps into focus no mistake about it, the Denali's just didn't do it. Objects with hard edges seemed easier to focus on than say the markings on a bird. But I wanted to give you an update and thank you all for your advice, I look forward to checking these out tomorrow....wish I didn't have to go to work! Don't you hate that?

I think you lack of sharp focus experience with the Denali is a sign of their comparatively lower resolution which would be more noticeable at longer distances.

eetundra said:
I think you lack of sharp focus experience with the Denali is a sign of their comparatively lower resolution which would be more noticeable at longer distances.

Also, you could try resetting your right eye diopter (and thereby your binocular) on an object 75' to 100' distant and see if that helps your mid range sharpness.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back