Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 9th September 2006, 22:41   #1
birdwatcher in Kuwait

Wind direction!

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me please how birds (passerines) migrate; I mean what is the favorite weather condition in terms of wind direction and speed preferable by passerines? Do they travel with or against the wind direction? Do they experience the same wind direction and speed at the height that they travel through? Because from my observations I noticed that migrating passerines arrive altogether and leave altogether, although they different species.

Old Sunday 10th September 2006, 03:30   #2

My experience on the East Coast of the USA is that passerines prefer to migrate under favorable conditions. That is, the biggest flights tend to happen on clear nights without precipitation, with a tailwind. Birds will still move in less favorable conditions, but far less will move against a strong headwind. A frontal line of storms will frequently stop them in their tracks. That latter can cause a fallout along the frontal line. I am not sure how wind speeds at different altitudes affects migration; maybe someone else can answer that.
DC Birding Blog

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: