• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (25 Viewers)

Sunday Work Party

Sorry to repeat myself , but this Sunday 1st MARCH is the final work party of the season at the FLASHES.
We have a few jobs that MUST BE COMPLETED for the breeding season, such as clearing the breeding islands, repairing the shelduck boxes. and repairing fox fencing.....any other projects will have to be carried forward to September, unless we have loads of people.
meet at Sailing pool car park at 9.30ish. you will need wellies, I will bring squash and biscuits
B :)John

Visiting Dates On The Reserve In 2015

Sat 14 March South Leicestershire Bird watching Club. (20-25 people)
Sat 18 April Redditch Worcestershire Wildlife Trust local group (14 people approx)
Sat 26 April Shropshire RSPB (10 – 20 people)
Thu May 14 Wyre Forest U3A
Thu May 21 Alcester U3A (14 people approx)
Thu May 28 Wyre Forest U3A
Sat May 30 WWT Bird Identification training day
Thu June 18 Arrow Valley Group
Sat July 11 Army Ornithological group (6 – 8 people)
Thu Aug 13 WWT childrens group TBC

Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Little Egret (2)----------------------Oystercatcher (2)
Shoveler (48)-----------------------Pochard (8)
Gadwall (4)-------------------------Teal (15)
Tufted Duck (45)-------------------Snipe (12)
Little Grebe (2)---------------------G C Grebe (2)
Cormorant (34)---------------------Water Rail (2)
Cetti's Warbler (2)------------------Fieldfare (c50)
Herring Gull (2)---------------------Greylags (24)
Buzzard (3)--------------------------Sparrowhawk
Kestrel-------------------------------No sign of a Bittern this evening.

FLASHES:
Avocet (6)---------------------------Little Egret (1) spending most of its time near the Hen Brook.
Snipe (32)---------------------------Oystercatcher (2)
Teal (34)-----------------------------Lapwing (c220)
B H Gull (430)-----------------------Green Sand (1)
Wood Pigeon (c300)-----------------Curlew (8)
Shelduck (7)-------------------------Mute Swan (2)

SAILING POOL:
Tufted Duck (5)----------------------G C Grebe (2)
Little Grebe (1)

Des.

Ave atque vale

Over the years that I have been visiting Upton it has always been a pleasure because of the warm welcome and friendliness of the regulars. As my wife, Jan, and I are moving out of the area my visits will inevitably be fewer so I would like to acknowledge those who have provided good company, directed me to birds I would have missed, shared their optics and had the tact to ignore my gaffes. Realise this is a risky procedure but here goes: Adrian, Alan, Alan, Alex, Andy, Bill, Bob, Brian, Chris, Craig, Craig, Dave, Dave, Dave, Dennis, Des, Gert, Graham, Ian, Jared (sic), Jean, John, John, John, Margaret, Mary, Matt, Matt, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Paul, Phil, Phil, Phil, Phil, Rich, Rita, Roger, Sarah, Simon, Simon, Simon, Stuart, Tim, Timmy, Trace and Yvonne. Apologies to anyone I have forgotten, or whose name I never knew (such as the cheerful family who visit on Sunday afternoons) or whose name I have misspelt.

My especial thanks go to the members of the Tuesday work party, who are so cheerful and entertaining and such good companions: Bob, Bob, Bob, Charles, Dave, Gary, Janet, Janette, Jim, John, Jonathan, Keith, Len, Neil, Nick, Ray, Rob, Paul, Peter, Terry, Terry (he won’t read this so please pass on my best wishes), Steve, Steve, Sukie, Tony, Tony and Vern. Then there is our gaffer, Paul, a wise and gentle man to us but a Stakhanovite who carries on working after the rest of us have gone to lunch and so often misses a piece of cake.

And now the man who never misses a piece of cake, John Belsey; he has been tireless in answering my ornithological questions, helping me to see new birds and appreciate the possibilities of the reserve.

To you all, thank you and good wishes.

Some of you may be wondering what the title means; as that fine scholar Vern could tell you (he does always tag his pictures with the Latin names of birds), it is the opening of a Catullus poem and means “Hail and Farewell”.

Peter

A plug for the work parties​
If we were to let nature take its course the reserve would largely dry out and become overrun with willow, bramble and reed; we would lose our waders and many waterfowl. That is why we need the work parties to keep the invasive plants in check, create suitable habitat for the waders to breed, to maintain the fox-fencing and keep the paths open to visitors. I would therefore urge anyone who is free on a Tuesday morning or a winter Sunday to come along and help. You will have the satisfaction of giving the birds the help they need even if some – like the Sand Martins and Wigeon – don’t yet appreciate what has been done for them; you will see parts of the reserve normally out of sight; most of all you will enjoy the experience. It is all very relaxed: you come when you like, you stop and have a chat when you like, and you finish when you like. When you have finished apart from some aches you will have a real sense of achievement, as should be clear if John remembers to take the before-and-after photos.

Written by the epitome of a true British gentleman.
Peter, you will be missed!
Simon (hopefully one of the three above!).

Ave atque vale

Over the years that I have been visiting Upton it has always been a pleasure because of the warm welcome and friendliness of the regulars. As my wife, Jan, and I are moving out of the area my visits will inevitably be fewer so I would like to acknowledge those who have provided good company, directed me to birds I would have missed, shared their optics and had the tact to ignore my gaffes. Realise this is a risky procedure but here goes: Adrian, Alan, Alan, Alex, Andy, Bill, Bob, Brian, Chris, Craig, Craig, Dave, Dave, Dave, Dennis, Des, Gert, Graham, Ian, Jared (sic), Jean, John, John, John, Margaret, Mary, Matt, Matt, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Paul, Phil, Phil, Phil, Phil, Rich, Rita, Roger, Sarah, Simon, Simon, Simon, Stuart, Tim, Timmy, Trace and Yvonne. Apologies to anyone I have forgotten, or whose name I never knew (such as the cheerful family who visit on Sunday afternoons) or whose name I have misspelt.

My especial thanks go to the members of the Tuesday work party, who are so cheerful and entertaining and such good companions: Bob, Bob, Bob, Charles, Dave, Gary, Janet, Janette, Jim, John, Jonathan, Keith, Len, Neil, Nick, Ray, Rob, Paul, Peter, Terry, Terry (he won’t read this so please pass on my best wishes), Steve, Steve, Sukie, Tony, Tony and Vern. Then there is our gaffer, Paul, a wise and gentle man to us but a Stakhanovite who carries on working after the rest of us have gone to lunch and so often misses a piece of cake.

And now the man who never misses a piece of cake, John Belsey; he has been tireless in answering my ornithological questions, helping me to see new birds and appreciate the possibilities of the reserve.

Some of you may be wondering what the title means; as that fine scholar Vern could tell you (he does always tag his pictures with the Latin names of birds), it is the opening of a Catullus poem and means “Hail and Farewell”.

Peter

If we were to let nature take its course the reserve would largely dry out and become overrun with willow, bramble and reed; we would lose our waders and many waterfowl. That is why we need the work parties to keep the invasive plants in check, create suitable habitat for the waders to breed, to maintain the fox-fencing and keep the paths open to visitors. I would therefore urge anyone who is free on a Tuesday morning or a winter Sunday to come along and help. You will have the satisfaction of giving the birds the help they need even if some – like the Sand Martins and Wigeon – don’t yet appreciate what has been done for them; you will see parts of the reserve normally out of sight; most of all you will enjoy the experience. It is all very relaxed: you come when you like, you stop and have a chat when you like, and you finish when you like. When you have finished apart from some aches you will have a real sense of achievement, as should be clear if John remembers to take the before-and-after photos.

Avavu a cuppa |:S|is the nearest I came to your title.

Peter, when you said see you around on Tuesday and you were more than generous with the cake ....I should have sussed that that was your way of saying goodbye. I will really miss your 'posh' banter or should I say well educated banter. Even though I went to a grammer school , Peter reminded me that I had spelled grammar incorrectly....see Peter, got it write this time8-P.
Joking apart you are a true gentleman and one of the warmest and friendliest blokes I have ever met. You will be sadly missed, Janet brought you a leaving card that we hadn't all written in, as we weren't sure when you were leaving. Hopefully we will get chance to give it to you. Keep in touch via the forum at least and I look forward to seeing you again soon mate.B :)John

Last edited:
Hi Peter, thank you for your kind inclusion. Unfortunately due to illness and injury my visits over the past 12 months have sadly been far fewer than i would have liked however it was always a pleasure to share a hide with you and good luck for the future. kind regards Dennis

Hi Peter,

Sorry to see you're moving, I'm sure the Tuesday work parties will miss you rather than the cake ;)

Hope you make it back to Upton on occasion, hope you find a decent 'patch' wherever you're moving to.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Peter.

I have always enjoyed spending time in your company at Upton Warren and will miss your infectious enthusiasm for the place. I hope that you will continue to make the odd contribution to this forum, as I have continually been enthralled by what you have to say and the poetic language you use to put your point over.

All the best,

Andy.:t:

Ave atque vale

Peter

Our loss is Oxfords gain, health and happiness to you and yours Peter. thanks for your company and making me feel welcome. Any ways its killing me not swearing so all I will say is good luck with the move and be the happy chappy we have all warmed to ciao Vern

Good luck Peter - it has been great working and birding with you on Tuesdays and I have also been interested in your observations on the forum.

Had an enjoyable couple of hours at the Flashes today. Highlights included the 8 avocet plus little egret, snipe and curlew. Thank you to Bob O for his company - we reckoned that the lapwing flock was around 200 to 250 birds, which seems very significant. Would be interested in John Belsey's view on the high numbers?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back