• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Abandoned nest in VT (1 Viewer)

mfoster.vt

I was cutting a field yesterday that is pretty close to our house. Found this nest smack dab in the middle. Very high grass and weeds and slightly wet. We counted 9 eggs, 3 of which were unhatched. This is also fairly close to our pond where we watched a female hooded merganser all spring. The nest is obviously not a built nest. The only possibilities that really make any sense is either mallards, hooded mergansers or turkeys. We looked it up and the ducks and mergansers seem to have built nests close to water. This was perhaps 100 yards from the pond. Our book says that turkeys build nests in the woods,and like I said this was in the middle of the field. The eggs are slightly larger than a large chicken egg. About 2 1/2" long.

My wife and I are leaning toward a confused turkey, but maybe someone here has a better idea.

Attachments

• NestEggs-1.jpg
    NestEggs-1.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 29
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back