• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flight shots: IS off or on? (1 Viewer)

screaming piha

I am hoping to take lots of seabird pics from a small boat next week. It's my first major bout of pelagic birding since I got an IS lens – should I use IS or not? It will be in full sunshine (i.e. not UK!).

Pros: could really do with IS benefits on an unstable platform such as a boat.

Cons: IS means a 1 second or so delay before achieving focus.

Any views?

Cheers

John

If the birds are moving relative to your position the position 2 on your IS may help (only 1 plain) but with the movement of the boat I'm not sure whether the IS would cope with three variables: Boat, You, Bird.

I personally turn IS off for all flight shooting, the IS module being 'locked down' rather than 'active' enables the A/F to aquire and track the subject quickly and more accurately.

I have generally found also that working from a boat the IS is only useful when photographing perched birds on rocks, birds on the sea, where you and the subject are moving independently tends to be outside the range of IS ability and inhibits focus accuracy and speed.

In all cases however photographing seabirds on pelagics is a case of pot-luck, shoot lots and pick the best to keep.

Especially on a boat, IS is not of much help for in flight shots. The only time I ever use IS for a flight shot is on a plane, they are easier to track and not as erratic as birds.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

I've used IS to good effect on dolphins, but they are larger and easier to track than seabirds, and it was from a stationary boat.

John Jackson said:
Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

I've used IS to good effect on dolphins, but they are larger and easier to track than seabirds, and it was from a stationary boat.

I found a monopod very useful on board boat earlier this year. So if that isn't a standard item in your bag anyway, might be worth bringing along.

white-back said:
I found a monopod very useful on board boat earlier this year. So if that isn't a standard item in your bag anyway, might be worth bringing along.

I have tried using my monopod before on this very same boat. I tucked it in my shoe as I do on land (unless the ground is soft enough to stick it in that). I found it easy to get on birds using it but hard to track them from the boat. When I found myself lifting the whole thing off the deck I gave up and took off the monpod. Any suggestions for more effective use?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back