• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monsieur Gain's Antarctic Tern (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s some possibly additional info on ...

gaini as in:
● the subspecies Sterna vittata gaini MURPHY 1938 (here, p.13):
I take pleasure in naming this exceptionally well- marked subspecies in honor of Dr. Louis Gain, whose report on the birds of the Second French Antarctic Expedition,1908-1910, is a monument in the annals of south polar zoölogy.
Today's HBW Alive Key explain this eponym as:
gaini
Dr K. Louis Gain (fl. 1910) French zoologist, botanist on 2nd French Antarctic Expedition 1908-1910 (subsp. Sterna vittata).
... which fits Louis Gain (18831963), participant in Deuxième expédition antarctique fran̜caise (1908–1910), under the command of Dr Jean Charcot.

Note: those years are based only on what´s written; here or/alt. here. His other name (the "K."?), titles (Dr./botanist?), etc., etc. are all unknown to me ... he´s not one of "my guys", thereby not researched at all (by me). I just happened to tumbled upon the book/books above.

Thereby; take the above, for what it´s worth!

If anything ...

Björn

His given names are Louis Albert René on his birth certificate.
([Here]; in "Nom de commune", enter: Mortain; in "Date exacte", enter: 1883; in "Type d'actes", select: Naissances; click "Chercher"; scroll down and open the single file; go to "Élément n° 42"; on the left.)

PS - He also has [his own page on the French Wikipedia].

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back