• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (1 Viewer)

Hello, I'm going to Pollenca from 19 September for 2 weeks. My interest is in bird life. My better half is interested to know if there is any beginners guide to butterflies available that she can take with her. Any advice would be appreciated
Thank you, David

Hi David

If you search on Google for 'petita guia de mariposas de Mallorca' then you will find a link to a small booklet on the butterflies of Mallorca. It's not in English but each species is illustrated. There are not many species on the island but there are some interesting ones.

My own interest, apart from birds, etc., are the better part of the Lepidoptera - the moths.

Have a great time.

Martin

Can Cuarassa Tuesday morning:
Purple Heron: ad+imm in flight
Green Sand: 3 on pools
Night Heron: 4 in flight
Stone Curlew: 1
Whinchat: 3
Thekla Lark: 2
Woodchat: 1ad
Spotless Starling: 1

Hi David

If you search on Google for 'petita guia de mariposas de Mallorca' then you will find a link to a small booklet on the butterflies of Mallorca. It's not in English but each species is illustrated. There are not many species on the island but there are some interesting ones.

My own interest, apart from birds, etc., are the better part of the Lepidoptera - the moths.

Have a great time.

Martin

Martin

Thank you, that is excellent and another reason for me to learn Spanish!!
David

Good to meet you today Mark. Well done with the Golden orioles, we must have missed them when we went later. A very humid and dull day.
I think Kevin will post as he found all the birds today.
Mike

Walk from Port de pollenca to Cala St Vincent this morning.
Ortolan Bunting: 1
Firecrest: 1
Crossbill: 3
Eleonora's Falcon: 1
Booted Eagle: 1

Last full day today: Another good period of Birding, looking forward to my next return already. Jonathan

Yesterday early morning at depadura, lots of hirundines passing through with at least 2 Red rumped swallows amongst them. Also there, 4 glossy ibis, Night heron, Snipe and Wood, Green and Common sandpiper.
Later at Albufereta 2 Spoonbill which came in and landed was the highlight. Apart that is, from the delightful company of Mike, Phil and Mark.

Hello!
There must be an big influx of Golden Oriole because yesterday at Mortitx 4 or 5 different birds, together with a flock of Bee-eater using the field and trees where the big Celtis australis (Mediterranean or European Hackberry ¿?) is.
Still one Nightingale, at least three wrynecks (only heard but very close), a hoopoe and some Common Swifts and Barn Swallows.

At la Gola we still have the two Squacco Herons ;)
Regards,
Cristina.

I was at a house in Ses Salines all morning for art classes in the garden where the amount of Barn swallows passing through was truly staggering. They didn’t let up all morning but it was hard to keep count. Several hundred went through as did lots of House Martins and a few Pallid Swift.
Two Bonelli’s eagles put in an appearance. One certainly was an adult, not sure about the other one. When ever I see Bonelli’s, they seem to be engaged in aerobatics, swooping and diving together in some kind of ritual. Then one or both close their wings and stoop to the ground at an alarming speed. It is a true spectacle and maybe typical but it’s a very exciting show and I could never tire of it.
I didn’t get any art done, just like my school days where I stared out the window all day.
Mike

Hello!
There must be an big influx of Golden Oriole because yesterday at Mortitx 4 or 5 different birds, together with a flock of Bee-eater using the field and trees where the big Celtis australis (Mediterranean or European Hackberry ¿?) is.
Still one Nightingale, at least three wrynecks (only heard but very close), a
Cristina.

Hi Cristina
Thanks for this piece of information.
In 2012 I started to get specimens of a micromoth that had not been recorded previously from the Balearic Islands. It is called Phyllonorycter millierella and it feeds as a larva within a leaf of Celtis australis, forming a lower surface blister mine (which doesn't harm the tree). I know it is planted in Mallorca but I've only seen one or two trees.
I will have to make a trip to Mortitx to see if I can find the leafmines.
Another good reason to return to the island!
Best wishes
Martin

Late news from yesterday, Juv Montague Harrier Bishop 1 in the Afternoon, think I need to change my phone, having real problems with the internet.
Steve.

Looks like a fine adult male Pallid Harrier was seen and photographed on the road down to the Cap de Ses Salines this morning. More details to follow.
There have been some monumental storms with rain as heavy as I have ever seen here before. That should stir things up a bit.
When it’s calm and sunny, many migrants fly straight over the Island and don’t even bother dropping down to say hello.
Mike.

Heading to Pollenca on Wednesday 19th for 2 weeks. Got my Collins and Gosney guides ready, bins and scope packed, trip to Dragonera with Mallorca Natural Tours booked. I'm ready!! I will be using this forum to check on sitings, is there any other website I should be looking at? I am planning on making some regular visits to Albufereta as well as the other hot spots in the north, here's hoping the weather has improved. Not long now

At the Cap this morning. An early Hobby went through followed by my first Honey Buzzard. Another Hobby, one more Honey Buzzard and a migrant Kestrel left the Island too.
Nearby, Javi saw seven Honey Buzzard together. They circled round, gained height and headed south , typical behavior of migrants when leaving Mallorca.
I will be there early tomorrow if anyone fancies a trip south.
Mike

Fairly quiet at Son Real this morning. Highlights were Northern wheatear, Redstart fem., 4 Oystercatchers and 13 Little egrets on the small island. There were also a couple of two tailed pasha butterflies and a Herman’s tortoise.

Hi Cristina
Thanks for this piece of information.
In 2012 I started to get specimens of a micromoth that had not been recorded previously from the Balearic Islands. It is called Phyllonorycter millierella and it feeds as a larva within a leaf of Celtis australis, forming a lower surface blister mine (which doesn't harm the tree). I know it is planted in Mallorca but I've only seen one or two trees.
I will have to make a trip to Mortitx to see if I can find the leafmines.
Another good reason to return to the island!
Best wishes
Martin

Hello Martin!
This is very interesting! I know some more places where you can find Celtis australis. I have always seen this tree next to some big old Mallorcan houses. And planted as an ornamenthal tree in some streets, for example in the Port de Sóller.
Contact me when you come back to Mallorca.
Regards,
Cristina.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back