• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma 150/600 (1 Viewer)

It's sounds to me Roy reading between the lines it will only AF with the new sigma converters at f8, maybe sigma has put some clever circuitry in to confuse the camera.

Edit: also reading that their OS works when panning unlike what I have read about the Tamron
That's no big deal for BIF Paul as the shutter speed needed will almost always do away with the need for OS anyway. A lot of folk will automatically switch the OS (or IS or VC) off when shooting flyers as it slows down the AF. Also if you are on a tripod there is rarely a need for OS anyway.

It's sounds to me Roy reading between the lines it will only AF with the new sigma converters at f8, maybe sigma has put some clever circuitry in to confuse the camera.
Maybe they are copying the Kenko DGX foolery Paul. As a side note the Tammy is not supposed to AF with a tc but I have heard of several people that use a non reporter on it with no problem (not the DGX). I was thinking of picking a cheap kenko non reporter to try myself.

I sure do hope so.

being able to have AF @840mm on a full frame camera would be something amazing! :)
Better still on the 7D2 Miguel ;) . I used to get AF at 840mm on my old 7D with my 300/2.8 + stacked 2x and 1.4x tc -1344mm 'reach' was handy at times that's for sure.

Last edited:
That's not a bad price at all as long as AF and IQ is good and on a 7dmkII 1.6crop ( if there is one ) it could be a great birding setup that does not cost a fortune.

I know its still a fair bit of cash to lay out but as we all know birding does tend to need a bit more than other photography.

Rob.

Better still on the 7D2 Miguel ;) . I used to get AF at 840mm on my old 7D with my 300/2.8 + stacked 2x and 1.4x tc -1344mm 'reach' was handy at times that's for sure.
That's true. But I will barely be able to afford the Sports version (if I decide) so I won't get another body. My wife would throw my things outside hehe. So 840mm is the best I can wish for :)

Still no idea on weight or price for the contemporary model ,though blurb though does suggest it can be used with a USB Dock ?? ,also no mention of a focus limiter on this one though they say that can be altered via the dock ? .i was going to think about a 7d2 but I think one of these two lenses will be a better deal for me especially with that t.c ability .
My gut feeling says it will come in as either the same price as the tammy or even a loss leader at under it which should hopefully start a price war .looks like 2015 is gonna be interesting .

I with you on this Black Fox - PLUS I may wade in on the 7D to get the AF at f8. Never had anything other than canon lens before - do these sigmas work with canon converters ok.

Better start saving

My gut feeling says it will come in as either the same price as the tammy or even a loss leader at under it which should hopefully start a price war .looks like 2015 is gonna be interesting .
By the time it arrives Jeff the Tammy back orders could be for-filled and then the price will start falling - I reckon once the stocks of the Tammy becomes plentiful (and the grey importers start to get hold of them) the price will start tumbling, I would guess that in a years time it will be around £700.

I'm with the black fox as well with this, I'm thinking about the sports one once the preorders are for filled and a 7D2 in a year or so. My gut feeling at the moment is the 400 5.6 is an acceptional lens but the super zooms have newer technology in them and will out perform the canon in most aspects. Just need to see some reliable reviews.

At f6.3,
full frame really helps the bokeh,
7d mk whatever...

I do not understand. Most times at 600mm or longer, the depth of field is so narrow that most cameras benefit from stopping down. A full frame camera has narrower DOF than the corresponding crop camera ,,,

What you wrote seems more applicable to wideangle lenses.

Niels

By the way: sigma has in the past made long lenses for 4/3, I really hope that one of the rumored new lenses will be marketed in a fit for the m4/3

To put this in perspective I have a 1d3 so already have f8 AF albeit centre point only with a 400 5.6 and 1.4 tc ,I have tried this combo out versus the tamron for a days shoot and did not get enough of the WOW factor to sway me ,the only gain being in a few extra focus points .
I am hoping the sigmas wil do this for me ,I want the same af capabilities as I have now and at least the same I.q better if possible ,one thing I have noticed while scrolling through various sites is that the tamron for whatever reason tends to perform better on nikon bodies ,I wonder if this is to do with the fact most have sony sensor technology .

I also have a gut feeling that there may have been some behind the scenes development between canon and sigma it's very coincidental that the 7d2 with f8 focussing comes out at the same time as a sigma super zoom that will af at f8 with there new t.c .we will all find out shortly

I also have a gut feeling that there may have been some behind the scenes development between canon and sigma it's very coincidental that the 7d2 with f8 focussing comes out at the same time as a sigma super zoom that will af at f8 with there new t.c .we will all find out shortly
I would say there is no chance that Canon and Sigma has been talking here Jeff - it has been widely speculated and expected for ages now that the7D2 would always have AF at f8. The reason they have both been announced now is Photokina which is a traditional time for announcements for all Company's so why should it be coincidental that Canon and Sigma and others all announce new products at the same time.

It is also no surprise at all that the new Sigma will AF with a 1.4x tc on Camera that allows AF at f8 - they already fool Cameras with f6.3 reporting f5.6 to Cameras AF systems so adding a 1.4x tc to this is expected that it will AF. I fully expect that Kenko converters would also AF on any of these Cameras. I see no reason why even the cheaper, lightweight Sigma 150-600 would not AF with the right converter but it is unlikely that Sigma will push that one as the IQ would probably not be up to the sport version if you add a converter.

To put this in perspective I have a 1d3 so already have f8 AF albeit centre point only with a 400 5.6 and 1.4 tc ,I have tried this combo out versus the tamron for a days shoot and did not get enough of the WOW factor to sway me ,the only gain being in a few extra focus points .
I am hoping the sigmas wil do this for me ,I want the same af capabilities as I have now and at least the same I.q better if possible ,one thing I have noticed while scrolling through various sites is that the tamron for whatever reason tends to perform better on nikon bodies ,I wonder if this is to do with the fact most have sony sensor technology .
The Tammy 150-600 is a very adequate lens in the right hands IMHO, I think the main reason why the Tammy does not appear to perform very well is simply because to vast majority of its users are inexperience photographers specially with long lenses.
Having been using both the Tammy 150-600 and Canon 400/5.6 + 1.4x tc for a few months now there is no doubt whatever in my mind that the Tammy is the better combo. This is not just because you have the full range of AF options as opposed to just the centre point but more to do with both IQ and AF speed. While the 400/5.6 is a stella AF performer at 400mm, when you add a 1.4x tc is is most certainly slower than the Tamron.
I am not knocking the 400/5.6 as I am its the biggest fan having taken probably over 100,000 shots with it over the past 8 years or so but while it takes a 1.4x tc very well considering it is a slow (f5.6) but the IQ and AF speed is just not up to the Tamron IMO.

Although the new Siggy 150-600 sport will take a 1.4x tc and AF on the 7D2 that is not to say that the IQ and or AF speed will be up too much - that remains to be seen. In my experience for real good performance with a 1.4x tc you need a f4 or faster lens (and for a 2x tc f2.8 lenses perform best). At the end of the day I guess it will come down to peoples own expectations and standards.

Photokina has only just finished and sigma are talking about announcing new lenses for next year, some are primes and some are zooms.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back