• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x42 Trinovid HDs (1 Viewer)

Does anybody know what the story is about Aqua-Dura and Trinovid HDs?

There are mix messages all over the place about this. Some outlets state the Trins have it, some don't. Leica site says nothing about it. Some say the 32mm versions have it but the 42s do not.

And here I was complaining that Nikon is confusing!

Thanks for the feedback Bob. It is odd to me that Nikon makes different eyecups that look identical to each other. Again, Nikon can be a confusing company.

The ones on my nonexistent 8x25 ProStaffs (see photo) have no stops along the way and are not smooth at all. They are also prone to getting funky easily with dust which doesn't help the gritty feeling. I accept that in a cheap binocular, not a $1000. one, but seemingly that is not the case with the MHGs.

I forgot about those old waterproof versions of the Travelite binoculars. I remember that they had the name Pro-Staff. In fact I think they were one of the original Pro-Staff binoculars. Nikon made a number of versions of them. They don't make them anymore but they still have the 8,10 and 12x25 Travelites.

The MHGs also have very smooth focusing just like the LXLs and EDGs have.

Last edited:
Kevin Conville, post 21,
It is very much dependent on the age of the Trinovids whether Aqua Dura coatings are applied, Trinovid-2's (1953-1988) do not have them, Trinovids-3 , the BA types, started in 1984 and were in 2000 updated as BN. The BN's got a HDC (High Durable Coating) . If I remember well the production of the Trinovid BN's stopped in 2007. My speculation is that the Aqua Dura coatings were applied on the Ultravids and not on the Trinovid-2 and Trinovid-3 range. The Ultravid programme started in 2003.
Gijs van Ginkel

In the Leica brochure 'Experience Observation' it says that all Leica Trinovid HD's have Aqua Dura coatings.

Thanks for that lead.
Went there and found it but I have to say Leica, and others, are being obscure about it and not making it well known, for the most part, and there IS confusion.

Here's a screenshot of where you sent me on Leica's site.
Besides the Aqua-Dura part notice the typo of the FOV figures for 8x32.

Attachments

• Aquadura.jpg
    Aquadura.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I forgot about those old waterproof versions of the Travelite binoculars. I remember that they had the name Pro-Staff. In fact I think they were one of the original Pro-Staff binoculars. Nikon made a number of versions of them. They don't make them anymore but they still have the 8,10 and 12x25 Travelites.

The MHGs also have very smooth focusing just like the LXLs and EDGs have.

Bob,
The very same binoculars in the photo I posted are still advertised and sold as ProStaffs and are in Nikon's catalog as ProStaffs.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/all-binoculars/index.page#!/tag:nkE:$100%20to%20$149

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=8x25 ProStaff&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Last edited:
I forgot about those old waterproof versions of the Travelite binoculars. I remember that they had the name Pro-Staff. In fact I think they were one of the original Pro-Staff binoculars. Nikon made a number of versions of them. They don't make them anymore ...

The ProStaff are one of my favorite of the reverse-porro compacts, and they are still a current product and in stock from Nikon, B&H, Amazon...

--AP

Bob,
The very same binoculars in the photo I posted are still advertised and sold as ProStaffs and are in Nikon's catalog as ProStaffs.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/all-binoculars/index.page#!/tag:nkE:$100%20to%20$149

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=8x25 ProStaff&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Kevin and Alexis,

They are not listed in the current Nikon Sport Optics website under either Pro-Staff or Specialty binoculars.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/index.page?#c54-CID-1342536894925-tab-1

But apparently they are listed under the "All Binoculars" section!

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/all-binoculars/index.page

Scroll down to the compact binoculars. There are 22 of them.

Of course, who the hell really knows what binoculars Nikon is selling and where they are selling them at any given time and place?

Bob

Last edited:
I don't have a Trinovid HD 10X42....but do have a 8X42 HD....nice binocular. Saying that....if I were to go buy a $800-$1000 10X42 it would be a Zeiss Conquest HD all day long. It's hard to beat in this range. My example has been without fault. The only negative is it's about 3 ounces heavier than the Trinovid HD and maybe a little bulkier. I'd also look at a Monarch HG....which I have the 8X42 model of this....A little lighter and a little more FOV.

The Conquest HD 10X42 w/Schmidt-Pechan prisms transmission, according to allbinos, is 93%. The earlier Conquest 10X40 w/Abbe-Koenig prisms was 93%. Both Conquests have T* antireflection multicoatings though I readily agree it is possible that the HD coatings might have been upgraded.

I own the 10X40 though have never viewed through the HD. [Yes, I've heard they are better many times especially in the reduction of distortion]
I have compared the Conquest 10X40 to the Trinovid 10X42 [which has a better 10X class FOV 114M/6.52 than the 8x42 Trinovid in 8X class. Allbinos measured the Conquest HD 10X42 at 6.51* so that aspect is a wash].

There is no allbinos review of the Trinovid HD, when they do I'm sure it will not score 10/10 on distortion, Leica claims a mere 90% transmission.

That being said the colour representation of the Trinovid to these eyes is more vivid in a side by side w/10X40 Conquest. Full sun to low lying completely overcast clouds. All colours have a bit more pop to me.

Regardless, I'm sure either bin would be more than sufficient. As a disclaimer
I have a mild cataract in the left eye and have had cataract surgery in the dominant right eye w/AMO Tecnis 1 piece mono aspheric intraocular lens. I do not require corrective lens for driving, but I'm not 20/20 either.

As always, YMMV ...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back