• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photo agencies (1 Viewer)

Jhanlon

I was wondering if anyone on here has experience of making their images available to agencies? Although I am very much an 'amateur snapper' with more than my fair share of 'record shots' my personal photo library now has several thousand images of UK and foreign birds of hundreds of species. Many have been published in magazines, but relatively few in books and I'd like to make my better images more available.

Which are the best agencies to use? Is it possible to use several agencies as long as you don't submit the same image to more than one? How do the royalties work and is there anything to be aware of that might breach agreements (like images promised to agency being historically posted on the web/ social media etc)? Does anyone ever make much money from it? (I doubt they do, apart from the best of the best perhaps!)

thanks in advance

James

I was wondering if anyone on here has experience of making their images available to agencies? Although I am very much an 'amateur snapper' with more than my fair share of 'record shots' my personal photo library now has several thousand images of UK and foreign birds of hundreds of species. Many have been published in magazines, but relatively few in books and I'd like to make my better images more available.

Which are the best agencies to use? Is it possible to use several agencies as long as you don't submit the same image to more than one? How do the royalties work and is there anything to be aware of that might breach agreements (like images promised to agency being historically posted on the web/ social media etc)? Does anyone ever make much money from it? (I doubt they do, apart from the best of the best perhaps!)

thanks in advance

James

BUMP - nobody??

Perhaps a better place to ask this question would be the dpreview site. There you find threads like this one where various agencies and success rates are discussed. Or search in their "Pro Forum" for the key word "agencies".
As a journalist I've been interested in the topic, and magazine articles or online threads usually stress that "wildlife" or "birds" is the worst field to specialize on as a photog if you want to generate an income. That said, it would be great if a birdforum member could prove me wrong.

Perhaps a better place to ask this question would be the dpreview site. There you find threads like this one where various agencies and success rates are discussed. Or search in their "Pro Forum" for the key word "agencies".
As a journalist I've been interested in the topic, and magazine articles or online threads usually stress that "wildlife" or "birds" is the worst field to specialize on as a photog if you want to generate an income. That said, it would be great if a birdforum member could prove me wrong.

Thanks for that, will have a look on there.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back