• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrows (1 Viewer)

Jimbo92

I currently have a very large number of sparrows that frequently visit the garden (they are nesting in the roof space), just wanted to know will this deter other birds due to the large numbers of sparrows. Numbers can range from 30-50. Only other birds are great tits and the odd sole robin plus some larger birds.

I doubt it. The row of cottages where I grew up had a similar number and we had a good mixture of visitors to my Mother's feeders.
I suppose the biggest risk is they gobble up all the food.

I currently have a very large number of sparrows that frequently visit the garden (they are nesting in the roof space), just wanted to know will this deter other birds due to the large numbers of sparrows. Numbers can range from 30-50. Only other birds are great tits and the odd sole robin plus some larger birds.

My experience says not...we get flocks of 10-20 individuals in our garden, but they tend to come at set times during the day, to feed, to drink and to bathe...they line up to do this. During these times,other birds keep a low profile, but outside of this we get the normal mixture of tits, dunnocks robins, as well as bigger birds such as starlings and blackbirds and pigeons in abundance. And the occasional sparrowhawk!

We've got a regular flock of up to 20 House Sparrows visiting the feeders.
Since we've put a nut feeder on there, the sparrows go for the 'no mess' bird food feeder and the tits are happy to go on the nut feeder. There are three Tree Sparrows which are smaller and more agile than the House Sparrows and they go on the nut feeder as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back