• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell spacemaster II (1 Viewer)

woodhornbirder

Found my old scope last week was buried in a cardboard box, thought i had left it in a hide in 94......more likely my mother had `tidied it up` and that generally meant that it was missing!

I was trying to get my baader zoom attached to it, but so far have failed.

HAve maanged to get a astro ep to screw into the internal thread. Need to find out the focal length to work out the magnification.

Will trial it in the field, but i should be able to improve on the performance....

some pics wheni get around to it.

Can anyone list various eps that fit these, preferable fixed mag wide angle....

edit......`Squeezes an effective focal length of 450mm(f/7.5) into a very compact scope length of 12 inches. Superb optical system includes a multi-coated 3 element 60mm objective, internal 2 element barlow lens, internal baffeling to increase contrast and internal focusing. `

I cant believe its 450mm, it seems too short.....anyone explain this?

Last edited:
pic with original zoom attached....i have this zoom still, but its awful!

Cant wait to attach more modern, higher quality ep.

Attachments

• bsm2.JPG
    bsm2.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,160
Thats a good find..congratulations..Yes,that zoom sucks....Old Kowas and Opticrons fit this scope..I am sure You know that...Viking branded eyepieces possibly too.Anything Old and Japanese is more likely compatible.For modern eyepieces I Wouldn`t know...If you already found an Astro model that can have the barrel removed,maybe thats the way to go..I saw a thread recently,a Nikon 20X WA for sale,that You had...Have you tried that?..
What is amazing is that the scope has 450mm FL...!!..F/7.5!..thats like the Nikon 60 fieldscope..It should be well corrected

Last edited:
`a Nikon 20X WA for sale,that You had...Have you tried that?..`

yeah i tried all my eps....couldnt get the nikonn to fit( or my kowa...the kowa is very long thing ep, so the focal point was wrong.

gonna need short eps to wirk in this beast)

optics seem decent in this scope, but its tad heavy for the size.....seems to be lead lined.....might survive ww3....which starts in sep :p

`Old Kowas and Opticrons fit this scope`

can you be more specific on model numbers plz )

No,Sorry..I cant ,..I really have no idea of models in those brands..probably the eyepieces for the TSN1 and TS601 , and even older models..No clue with older opticron either....Check Ebay and the second hand optics shops in the UK,,..Vintage,threaded ,japanese eyepieces...

PD..Okey I did a search on Bushnell Spacemaster Eyepiece in the forum,and found a lot of info...just run the same search and look around..So far I found that Acuter and Mirador eyepieces should fit,also Kowa TS and Opticron HS(pre metric..)..

Last edited:
I found out that stargazers lounge has an equipment section again.

SO am trying to get couple of eps from there.

Might be able to shift my baader zoom on there........

bushnell spacemaster

hello, I noticed this old thread on a search about the bushnell spacemaster. I just purchased one last week because I have always heard that the meade research grade 20 mm eps would work by taking off the 1 1/4 barrel. today I tried one and can confirm they work well. I believe the meade has a 70deg field. to the best of my knowledge.

eyepiece.

a 25mm bushnell kellner £24.89 from microglobe uk will screw in just enough to hold and gives a nice bright wide angle view. just a thought.

bit low magnification tho? cant really think of a use for that tbh.....anything under 25x is of limited use to my way of thinking.(have a 22x ep already)

will have a peep at it tho...

18mm or 15mm would be good. anything under 13mm is starting to test the outer limits!

Last edited:
Hi,

if it is still f7.5 with ED glass, it could be a nice instrument - 60x should be possible with a good EP, maybe more. Did you have success with astro EPs?

Joachim

Hello
my first (1984-1998) birding spottingscope was the honored Spacemaster II - not yet this later ED version: for those years, IMHO, a fine and rugged instrument, not sealed inside however (I remember a few case of internal condensation).
In 1990 I picked an Opticron HR 22xWA that worked very fine all around the scope's lifespan - I traded in 1998 with my first ED model, an Opticron 66HR ED- the 20x-45x zoom was optically of lesser qualty, and since then I never removed the good fixed eyepiece.

Hi,

if it is still f7.5 with ED glass, it could be a nice instrument - 60x should be possible with a good EP, maybe more. Did you have success with astro EPs?

Joachim

tbh its a while since I fiddled about trying to attach them. think the bits are scatterd about atmo, gonna have to track them down in the wilderness of my filing system!!

baader hyperion zoom, will screw onto the scope, but dont think it comes to infinite focus, sadly...also its a tad heavy.

i bid on this, but it went for a silly price!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meade-ser...e-Angle-Eyepiece-for-ETX-90-etc-/291889224225

its about the right size of ep to come to infinite focus.

still searching for more....if anyone wishes to donate a televue nagler, feel free :p

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back