• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding between Bodega Bay and Yosemite (1 Viewer)

SueBryan

Hi All
We are British birding couple who are booked on a couple of pelagics out of Bodega Bay and Fort Bragg in late July and early August and spending a few days in Yosemite National Park. We have a few days spare and wonder where they would be best spent to maximise our birding list. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Sue

Hello Sue,

In case you haven't seen this, here is a map link (interactive) with quite a bit of information. Just click on a related county to find specifics. You might also consider joining one of the mailing lists, if only temporarily, to ask of the local membership where is best to go as you make your way toward Yosemite. It will be a little late in the central valley (and hot) but the coast and Yosemite will be spectacular. Enjoy California.

Central Valley Birds listserve:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/central_valley_birds/

Edit: Looking again at your date period, shorebirds will have begun moving south by late July. You might concentrate your time along the coast around the San Francisco Bay area where it will be cooler and in time for shorebirding and other coastal endemics. There are many places to visit there. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Hello Sue,

In case you haven't seen this, here is a map link (interactive) with quite a bit of information. Just click on a related county to find specifics. You might also consider joining one of the mailing lists, if only temporarily, to ask of the local membership where is best to go as you make your way toward Yosemite. It will be a little late in the central valley (and hot) but the coast and Yosemite will be spectacular. Enjoy California.

Central Valley Birds listserve:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/central_valley_birds/

Edit: Looking again at your date period, shorebirds will have begun moving south by late July. You might concentrate your time along the coast around the San Francisco Bay area where it will be cooler and in time for shorebirding and other coastal endemics. There are many places to visit there. Just a thought.

Thanks for the help!
Sue

Hi Sue,

Check out Audubon Canyon Ranch website - right now the Blue herons are feeding their chicks at a known rookery. There is a platform setup to view the nesting birds without disturbing them. Bolinas Lagoon is a stones throw away, and should make for some fine birding. The other location is called the Marin Headlands, a beautiful location with a nice mix of song birds, shorebirds, and gulls. The raptor migration starts later, but it wouldn't hurt to stop by Hawk Hill at the headlands.
Another awesome place is Muir Woods. Try to be there by 7:00-8:00am on a weekday if possible and in the morning to avoid the crowds and enjoys our giant sequoias. This grove of trees is not the biggest and most impressive, but they are still a joy to see. If you are heading north toward Fort Bragg, check out our local Redwood forest nearby and the Russian River. You might just encounter some Osprey there.
I hope you have a blast on your pelagic trip. So far news from recent pelagic trips have yielded some wonderful viewing oportunities of rarely seen birds. Enjoy!

Hi Sue,

Check out Audubon Canyon Ranch website - right now the Blue herons are feeding their chicks at a known rookery. There is a platform setup to view the nesting birds without disturbing them. Bolinas Lagoon is a stones throw away, and should make for some fine birding. The other location is called the Marin Headlands, a beautiful location with a nice mix of song birds, shorebirds, and gulls. The raptor migration starts later, but it wouldn't hurt to stop by Hawk Hill at the headlands.
Another awesome place is Muir Woods. Try to be there by 7:00-8:00am on a weekday if possible and in the morning to avoid the crowds and enjoys our giant sequoias. This grove of trees is not the biggest and most impressive, but they are still a joy to see. If you are heading north toward Fort Bragg, check out our local Redwood forest nearby and the Russian River. You might just encounter some Osprey there.
I hope you have a blast on your pelagic trip. So far news from recent pelagic trips have yielded some wonderful viewing oportunities of rarely seen birds. Enjoy!

Thanks I will make a note of your sites and yes we will finish with another pelagic from Fort Bragg.
Sue

Suggest botannical gardens a mile or 2 south of Fort Bragg. Local Audubon does a birdwalk first Sat of most months (website is mendocinocoastaudubon.com -- has their field trip schedule and a good birdlist). Also check MacKerricher beach a mile or 2 north of Fort Bragg (early AM will avoid crowds). I also like mouth of Navarro River about 10-15miles south of Fort Bragg --very easy access to ocean.

Spunky12

Suggest botannical gardens a mile or 2 south of Fort Bragg. Local Audubon does a birdwalk first Sat of most months (website is mendocinocoastaudubon.com -- has their field trip schedule and a good birdlist). Also check MacKerricher beach a mile or 2 north of Fort Bragg (early AM will avoid crowds). I also like mouth of Navarro River about 10-15miles south of Fort Bragg --very easy access to ocean.

Spunky12

I'd second those recommendations. Also check out Joe Morlans California birding pages for more ideas of sites around there.

http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jmorlan/rare.htm
http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jmorlan/emailmap.htm

http://www.mcn.org/j/audubon/index.html

Very envious Fort Bragg area is lovely and doesn't have the fierce heat of other parts of California at that time of year. The Mendocino botanic gardens are really nice whether you see any birds or not and theres some great state parks up and down the coast. Also maybe worth a trip up to the Lost Coast and a side trip to the Anderson valley for a few winery samplings.

When in Fort Bragg check out the breakfast cafe below and go for a lobster omelette.
Eggheads, 326 N. Main St., 964-5005. Large omelettes; Wizard of Oz theme with a yellow brick road beginning at the front door.
Have fun

Last edited:
Also maybe worth a trip up to the Lost Coast and a side trip to the Anderson valley for a few winery samplings.

When in Fort Bragg check out the breakfast cafe below and go for a lobster omelette.
Eggheads, 326 N. Main St., 964-5005. Large omelettes; Wizard of Oz theme with a yellow brick road beginning at the front door.
Have fun[/QUOTE]

Good birding info AND yummy food and wine! I am getting really excited now and counting the weeks! Lobster Omlette WOW !

Thanks everone!
Sue

Hi Sue -- some additional ideas for you trip

For wine suggest Navarro (Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir), Handley(also Pinot), Goldeneye (expensive Pinot)and Roderer (Sparkling). Last 2 charge a fee to sample -- all are on the main highway in Anderson Valley. Try Mendo Bistro for dinner in Fort Bragg (on the main highway center of town) and Sharon's by the Sea for lunch (Fish Tacos --or Crab in season) in the harbor area --you might go past Sharons and under the bridge for some birding at the mouth of the harbor. The Brewery Restaurant at the north end of town (also on the main highway) has good local beer, You can usually get at least one Loon and couple of gulls at Sharon's take you bins in.

Spunky12

A big thank you to all. We shall be the best wined and dined birders of all time! I am counting the days now (20 days to go) and looking forward to some sun! It has been one of the wettest summers since records began here in Britain!
Sue

Landbirds are very quiet in late July and August around here, so like others I recommend hitting spots for shorebirds. As for California specialties, watch for Yellow-billed Magpies from your car as you drive across the Central Valley. You'll probably be too late for Allen's Hummingbird, but Anna's will be everywhere. For Nuttall's Woodpecker, you'll want oak woodland habitat which is common in the wine country. California Thrasher and Wrentit can be hard to see (especially the former this time of year) but they're in chaparral (dense brush) habitat like you find on Mount Diablo in the east Bay Area. It seems like I only find Tricolored Blackbird by accident, but the National Wildlife Refuges in the Central Valley are probably good places to look, and definitely scan large blackbird flocks for them anywhere in California.

I have additional last minute info. for you. Sue must ask the park staff if the conditions are right for the moonbow effect at Yosemite falls during your stay. I think you will be in the park about the same time as last year's moonbow. I've seen pictures taken in the early evening, but the real event should be seen at night.
This should get you up to date info on the birding around Yosemite:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yosemite_area_birders/

Thanks Ayasuda, I have never heard of a moonbow and will certainly ask about it when I arrive.
Emupilot-- I have been to California once before and have seen most of the waders, but have a few gaps. I have not seen Mountain Plover or Wandering Tattler. Is there any hope or sites for either of these?
I also need Wild Turkey and the Sage Grouse both of which should be possible I think?
Thanks
Sue

There's blue grouse in Lassen Natl. Monument (it's a bit out of your way), but keep your eyes open in the wine country region the turkeys are everywhere, especially in the morning. If you are traveling through Napa, stop at Skyline Park and you'll see turkey there. Wine country also has mountain lion sightings as well, you just might include a mammal to your list.
The pelagic trip should be a stunner. Baby murre sighting have just started and other alcids have been abundant this year. Rhinocerus Auklet and Parakeet Auklet might be in your cards.
I also find the Christmas Bird Count list informative, so I'm attaching the list from the last bird count for yosemite.
http://cbc.audubon.org/cbccurrent/current_table.html

Thanks Ayasuda, I have never heard of a moonbow and will certainly ask about it when I arrive.
Emupilot-- I have been to California once before and have seen most of the waders, but have a few gaps. I have not seen Mountain Plover or Wandering Tattler. Is there any hope or sites for either of these?
I also need Wild Turkey and the Sage Grouse both of which should be possible I think?
Thanks
Sue

Mountain Plover is a challenge - they can be found with diligence in fields in Solano and Yolo counties (general vicinity of Davis) in winter, but I don't think they will be around for a while. Tattler should be possible, however. Watch for them around rocky shoreline. Wild Turkey has been expanding rapidly recently, and are now found in many areas with oak woodland or savannah. I know a couple good locations in the East Bay area for them, but I doubt it would be worth going out of the way for when there are many places where they live now. Sage Grouse live in the northeast corner of the state - definitely well off of your route. They are also hard to find outside of their spring breeding season.

Right now Central Valley Birders have not listed any Mountain Plover sightings in my neck of the woods. I'm leery of the Sage Grouse. Do we have a native sage grouse or are they planted for field hunting? The grouse around Yolo and Solano are probably game birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back