• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Rufous Females Have Disappeared! (2 Viewers)

corrineinwa

Greetings from the Foothills of the PNW.

I've had 6+ female Rufous for 3 or so weeks but 3 days ago, they disappeared and I haven't seen one since. Is this normal?

A male is still here and drinking from the the two feeders I have up. The sugar water is replaced every 2-3 days (4 to 1 ratio) and the feeders cleaned twice a week (just hot water).

Is this normal - it's the first time I've had this happen in the 20 years or so that I've been here and they've always been a highlight of my year.

Could they all be sitting on nests?

I've never known them to be on the nest this early but even if they had, they still spend time throughout the day on the feeders.

I have one feeder hanging from a branch some 5ft from my home office window and other than the male, I haven't seen a female and the window is ajar so I hear the male chasing females anyway and that isn't happening. |8(|

I'm in northern California and this is normal. I had 10 or more males/females here a few days ago and now I'm down to six. They slowly migrate out of here every year so I wouldn't worry about it. Keep your feeders up and fresh for the hummers coming through.

Welcome to Birdforum!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back