• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Chiriquí in chiriquensis … ? (1 Viewer)

Laurent, you beat me to it ... while I was preparing, compiling my notes, typing away this post!

But I might post them anyway, as I did had a look at all (?) the other birds named chiriquensis ...

Simply for completeness sake (regarding the Scientific name/s), as complete as it might be (?), here´s the remaining ones – in chronological order:

● Lesser Elaenia Elaenia chiriquensis LAWRENCE 1865 (here): "List of Birds from near David, Chriqui, New Grenada ..." (New Grenada" is today's Panama) = same Province Chiriquí [Range: widespread, from Costa Rica to NE Argentina]

● the invalid, or valid (?) Hummingbird subspecies Eugenes fulgens/spectabilis chiriquensis NEHRKORN 1901 (here) as "Eugenes spectabilis chiriquensis"*: "aus Chiriqui, ..." [Alleged range: Highlands of Costa Rica and western Panama]

● the (debated) Vireo subspecies Vireo leucophrys chiriquensis BANGS 1903 (here), as "Vireosylva josephæ chiriquensis": "A New Race ... from Chiriqui" ... "Type, from Boquete, Volcan de Chiriqui". [Range: S Costa Rica, W Panama]

● the invalid, long-debated species, hybrid or ... (?); Chiriqui Pigeon (Columba) Patagioenas chiriquensis RIDGWAY 1915 (here) as "Œnœnas chiriquensis: "A New Pigeon from Chiriqui, Panama" [Earlier, a presumed hybrid, "known only from type", kept in the collection of the US National Museum of Natural History, specimen USNM 14830: "Current Identification: Columba nigrirostris", here, ... ?]

● the Tapaculo subspecies Scytalopus argentifrons chiriquensis GRISCOM 1924 (here, p.3), as "Scytalopus chiriquensis": "TYPE: ... Cerro Flores (alt. 5500 ft.), eastern Chiriqui, Panama; ..." See Introduction "... Cerro Flores ... in extreme eastern Chiriqui" [Range: W Panama]

That´s it! Finally.

Chiriquí ... over and out!

Björn

*As Laurent pointed out in post #21: Not the extended version; "Eugenes spectabilis chiriquiquensis" as it (as well) was listed (also in 1918), by Hellmayr and Conover, in Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands ... (here)

If there ever was another bird truly named chiriquiquensis (which is listed in today's Key) is all unknown to me. ;)
---

Last edited:
("New Grenada" is today's Panama)

Actually, Nueva Granada was more like what is now Colombia, with territories varying over time; but Panama was a province of Colombia until 1903 and would have been included in that term. You could read the Wikipedia article disambiguating "New Granada" but I'm sure it's unnecessary for you to do so. Just think of it as "Colombia and whatever nearby bits happened to be part of it at the time".

Paul, true, this I know, it was no attempt to revise the historical maps, what I tried to point out was the Origin of the Elaenia; "Chriqui, New Grenada ..." (in today's Panama). Nothing else.

Quick return ...

James, what bird/name is the reason for the presence of (the prolonged, extended version) chiriquiquensis ... in today's Key?

I cannot find it in any other context than the Eugenes Hummingbird ...

If simply a misinterpretation/typo/misconstruction, shouldn´t it be removed?

/B

Yes, I found chiriquiquensis in Cory 1918. I could remove it, but would probably then have to create another entry chiriquiquensis > chiriquensis, so decided to maintain the current entry. The inclusion of erroneous spellings in the Key is purely arbitrary.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back