• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pigeon ? (1 Viewer)

Steve

Staff member
United Kingdom
had this one crash into one of our buildings this morning, its feeling very sorry for itself and can't fly, I thought it was a wood pigeon but its got no white bit on its neck ?

Attachments

• IMG_0839.jpeg
    IMG_0839.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 77
Definitely a juvenile wood pigeon.

Given that it's experienced an impact it may be just be stunned rather than injured. Additionally, on several occasions I've been able to walk right upto juveniles - they seem to be quite reluctant fliers, only doing so if they absolutely have to, or when a parent returns.

Hopefully he's ok by now.

It started being attacked by another pigeon, very odd! anyway it spent all day huddled in a corner then flew off this evening, it has left a perfect imprint in (looks like dust) on a window, face, outstretched wings the lot.

Additionally, on several occasions I've been able to walk right upto juveniles - they seem to be quite reluctant fliers, only doing so if they absolutely have to, or when a parent returns.
Had a similar case on new years day* couple of years ago in a wooded public park (so not window-stunned), a juvenile so 'tame' I could go right up to it. Picked it up and parked it in a bush so it would be safe from the hordes of dogs that would come by.

*yep, they breed all year round!

Yes, I was kind of hoping people who read the post would gather I was in the UK by the text I wrote, but TKleukering does have a point.

The bird did fly away eventually.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back