• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best superzoom for Nikon (1 Viewer)

Tomek Kleczek

Hi!
I am in the market for a new birding lens, and I cannot decide between the tamron g1 150-600 and the Nikon 200-500. I know that the Nikon will be sharper, but will the difference be apparent for a Nikon d750 full frame 24mp camera? Does the extra reach of the tamron offset the higher sharpness of the Nikon? This is for shooting next to a forest, so medium lighting conditions. I cannot afford a 500mm prime. Thank you!
-Tomek

Hi Tomek and welcome to BF. I have no idea about lenses but i'm sure someone will be able to advise you.

Hi Tomek,
I had the nikon 200-500mm and it was a fabulous piece of kit.The lens is very sharp and a stop faster than the tamron.Both good lenses but if maximum quality is what you want,i'd stick with the Nikon.

Thanks! I will probably get the Nikon because everyone seems to prefer it, but I would like to see a side by side comparison of the Nikon and the Tamron. Just wondering how big of a difference there is between the tamron g1 and the Nikon.

The Nikon 200-500 is really a lens that punches way above it's price point. It's one of Nikon's best bargains. The only downside is the somewhat long focus throw, and the weight makes it hand-holdable, but really it is better on a monopod or even better with a tripod and gimbal.

The Nikon 200-500 is really a lens that punches way above it's price point. It's one of Nikon's best bargains. The only downside is the somewhat long focus throw, and the weight makes it hand-holdable, but really it is better on a monopod or even better with a tripod and gimbal.

One other thing is that the AF is pretty slow. It's OK, but it's slower than on some other long zooms.

I also wouldn't be able to cope with the weight myself, I much prefer lighter lenses.

Hermann

I use the 200 to 500 zoom on a D500 body. I haven't had it long but results are slowly improving. It's mainly used hand held because I can't carry the tripod in my truck.

Pete

Hi!
I am in the market for a new birding lens, and I cannot decide between the tamron g1 150-600 and the Nikon 200-500. I know that the Nikon will be sharper, but will the difference be apparent for a Nikon d750 full frame 24mp camera? Does the extra reach of the tamron offset the higher sharpness of the Nikon? This is for shooting next to a forest, so medium lighting conditions. I cannot afford a 500mm prime. Thank you!
-Tomek
Why not consider the Tamron G2 150-600 :cat:
The IQ is more on a par with the Nikon 200-500, it seems to focus faster in good light, and is about 2/3lb lighter. It also has the tap in dock module so you can completely fine tune it to your particular camera unit. The IQ is best when backed off a little to ~550mm and f7.1-f8 depending on distances. There's no real penalty when shooting at real close distances though where f6.3 gives nice subject isolation even on an APS-C.

In the end - you choose - the 1/2 stop faster aperture of the f5.6 Nikon, -- or -- the lighter weight, 10% greater reach, and custom tunability of the f6.3 G2 Tamron.

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back